Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default St. Martin - Jewelry Store Warning

An article appeared on the online version of their local paper. Jewelry Store Ti Tanzanite International won a court injunction against DK Gems International from using it's name in order to make sales. DK Gems moved into the store once occupied by TI and does not inform it's customers that they are not Ti. As a result, people from the cruise ships have made purchases, thinking they were insured by the cruise line. Here is what happened to one individual:

"The matter boiled over this year after an irate passenger, believing she had bought a genuine article from Tanzanite International and could return it on warranty to the store, discovered it had been bought from a store posing as Tanzanite International.

The passenger was furious and complained to the cruise ship agent after learning that she would not be covered by a Ti Tanzanite International guarantee."
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: St. Martin - Jewelry Store Warning

May-be its just me, but I'd rather buy any nice jewelery from a local jeweler so if I have any problems I know I will get satisfaction, although its hard to pass up some of those deals you see down in the Caribbean. I've found some nice pieces at decent prices right at home, so I know what the basic prices before I even shop while cruising.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 24th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Yeoman

I only buy my jewelry including tanzanite from Diamonds International, because they are reputable.
Old November 25th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Donna I'm with you. I found prices just as good here at home and at least if there is a problem I can deal with it easier here. I just question the whole thing. Did the store not have the right name on it's receipt?! Buyer beware applies.
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Familiar Face

Don't doubt it. I got permission from the newspaper to post the actual article - you can email the webmaster of the daily herald for verification.

From The Online Version Of The Daily Herald:

Jewelry store wins court
case regarding name use

PHILIPSBURG--Jewelry Store Ti Tanzanite International won a court injunction against DK Gems International regarding the use of its name and infringement on its marketing campaign. Both stores are located on Front Street.

DK Gems was ordered by the Court of First Instance on Friday to refrain from any connection with or association with the company to which Tanzanite International belongs, or the redeeming of promotional gift certificates issued by the store. The losing company was also ordered to pay the court costs as a result of the injunction.

The ruling follows a hearing a week ago in which an injunction was filed against DK Gems for allegedly misinforming customers that the company represented Tanzanite International.

It was claimed in court documents that not only did DK Gems inform cruise ship passengers and customers that it was Tanzanite International, but employees and agents even told cruise passengers they would redeem Tanzanite International gift certificates given on board ship by Tanzanite International agents and that loose diamonds bought at the establishment could be guaranteed.

Attorney for Ti Tanzanite International Jelmer Snow presented to the court a sworn affidavit from a former employee of DK Gems stating that staff often presented themselves as Ti Tanzanite International employees, or did not inform customers that they were not Ti Tanzanite International if the customers had mistakenly walked into DK Gems International N.V. looking for the former store.

Snow also presented the transcript of a tape recording in which an agent for DK Gems International could be heard misinforming a customer.

In both cases, the attorney argued that his client stood to lose by reputation and loss of business, as Ti Tanzanite International had made a substantial investment in advertising locally and internationally to attract customers to its store.

The injunction against DK Gems was filed after the company ignored "friendly warnings" and continued to pass off its store as Tanzanite International, part of the Diamonds International Group which does business worldwide, according to Ti Tanzanite International Managing Director Moshe Hakimi.

Hakimi said after the verdict, "I was not expecting to get any damages by bringing this action. I just wanted to get across to the court and to the business community that I have to do all I can to protect our company brand, trade names and our products from those who set out to deliberately mislead the public and unsuspecting visitors to the island."

The matter boiled over this year after an irate passenger, believing she had bought a genuine article from Tanzanite International and could return it on warranty to the store, discovered it had been bought from a store posing as Tanzanite International.

The passenger was furious and complained to the cruise ship agent after learning that she would not be covered by a Ti Tanzanite International guarantee.

When complaints of this kind are made, it is not only damaging to the jewelry business in St. Maarten, but to the entire community and economy, as the quality of the goods sold becomes suspect, he noted.

Ti Tanzanite International is also linked to Diamond Creations and Amsterdam Diamond Gallery, two stores located in Philipsburg, and forms part of a chain of 90 stores in the United States of America, the Caribbean and other countries around the world.

Hakimi said this case was only the first step in a renewed push by the three companies to fight back against a trade name and pirating practice "which is now getting out of hand."

"We have a history with one group of companies that is so far getting away with the use of the same trade name as we use in the Caribbean, the USA and elsewhere. We will once again be going to court to get this matter settled in keeping with international law," he stated.

Hakimi is also taking his case to the boards of the St. Maarten Chamber of Commerce and Industry, St. Maarten Small Business Association (SMBA), Consumer Foundation, St. Maarten Hospitality and Trade Association (SHTA) and other business groups to further support his campaign to stop the illegal practices, which he maintains are affecting St. Maarten's business reputation.
Old November 26th, 2003, 04:23 PM
hcat

A firiend has a personal jeweler there so on his recomendation we may buy But we live near a great store called Fortunaoffs's in NY where the values & quality are hard to beat--also like the Ross Simons catalog