Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Beginner

Default Cozumel safety??

I'll be on my cruise with one of my girlfriends, but in Cozumel she's going to scuba & I'm not. I'm thinking of going to Chan. (sp?) beach to snorkel & hang out, but I was wondering if it was safe to be there alone (even though I hear it's crowded). Is there a place to put your belongings so they don't get stolen while you're snorkelling? Hope this doesn't sound paranoid, but Is it risky to walk around alone? (I mean more than normal)

Any other recommendations for a single to do in Cozumel? I'd rather not do a cruise excursion (price, crowded, etc).
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:47 PM
hcat

Default Re: Cozumel safety??

While I think you'll be fine & I think they have lockers whyy not do it with the ship--you may meet some fun shipmates & not have to worry Otherwise line up some folks to share the cab with--it's by the carload on Cozumel...
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cozumel safety??

That beach is very safe.. It's actually a federal park, with a $10 admission fee. We had no people asking us to buy trinkets, just food and snorkle gear, but even they were very low key. They are all just like the services that are run by companies here in our national parks...

They have lockers, but they fill up quickly, so check often. The snorkeling is certainly only so-so, but if you've never done it before, will suffice. There's a nice little walk through a park with mayan replicas and a little Mayan house, just wait till you see another group of people walking through, and tag along... All in all, Cozumel felt very safe..
Old December 1st, 2003, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Cozumel should not be a problem for you. I like the suggestion of finding someone to share a cab with to go to the park. As your tablemates. We were warned of pick-pockets when we were in Cozumel but that's about it. I am not totally comfortable with you as a woman taking a cab by yourself.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:03 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Cozumel safety??

Thanks everyone. Now that I hear the snorkelling is only so-so (since I heard so much, I thought it was fantabulous) I may just take an excursion elsewhere on the island. It seems easier to deal with and less stress about being on my onw.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Admiral

julia if you are looking for amazing snorkeling, book a ships excursion to Palencaar Reef in Cozumel. We loved it.
Old December 4th, 2003, 06:20 PM
cricket55

I felt a little unsafe while shopping in Cozumel, but only from being intimidated from one particular store owner. He got right in my husbands face and said "whats the matter, you don't like my stuff?!" Not a nice guy, very scary! The rest of the people did seem fine but this happened early on and unfortunately gave us a bad feeling. Also, there is a huge police presence here which makes you wonder.....WHY????
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I cruise a lot, mostly solo, and find Cozumel one of my "safest" ports. If you dock at one of the docks that is not right downtown, just hook up with others and take a cab into town. Usually the drivers will wait as they want to fill the cab or van anyway.

Yes, some shop owners can be a little pushy, but "eyes straight ahead" and a firm "no thanks" always work for me.

Was just in Cozumel last month and the downtown shopping area was new to me...hadn't been there since '98. I found it to be very clean, well organized, modern, friendly...the only drawback I saw was that it took away the "small town" feeling Cozumel had 15 years ago.

Another tip for females traveling alone - always have a fake "husband" in your imagination! When shop owners get pushy, tell them, "I REALLY love it, but have to go find my husband, he's probably in a bar - he has the credit card!" Then leave!

It's always good to have a cell phone handy - no one know if it works or not! I've used a toy one from Wal-Mart for years ($3.97), it rings, gives busy signals, the works. Have been in cabs and situations where I did not feel perfectly safe, nothing really threatening but just didn't want people to know I was traveling alone, so I get out the "toy" phone and call my "husband"....."I'm in the cab now - should be there in 10 minutes".

Another female traveler tip is, when a stranger asks what you do, tell them you're in police work in any major U.S. city. That would make anyone think twice!

Above all, don't let fear prevent you from enjoying your trip. Use common sense and you will be fine. When you return to the ship, you'll feel proud of yourself for doing whatever it was you did. A dear friend of mine said something very profound in the horrific days after 9/11/01 - "You're not safe anywhere so you might as well go everywhere". I firmly believe that and hope you will too!

Bon Voyage!
'
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Admiral

great tips Beligique! Just use your head, case in point - on our last cruise (happened to be in Cozumel) DH and i were waiting with other passengers for our tour when a nice looking man complimented me on my earrings-(small diamond studs) he said your earrings are beautiful, Are they real?? - my response - no they are not real they are crystals, he came back with - wow those are really good quality fakes, end of conversation, DH then asks me why i told him that they were fakes, and i looked at him with like duhhhh why do you think?