Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bioluminescence Kayak in San Juan

We were checking out the tours on Carnival's website and notice the Bioluminescence Kayak Tour in San Juan. Since we are going to be there from 5p.m. - midnight, we thought it might be something to do with the kids.

Has anyone taken this tour and if so did you enjoy it?

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2003, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: Bioluminescence Kayak in San Juan

Melisa: I recently returned from San Juan and although I did not take that tour, some people at my dinner table did and said it was wonderful!

Apparently there were about 14 people (I think 2 to a kayak, not sure if that's right, it might be a 1-person kayak). They left about 5:00 p.m. and took a van to the spot where they started in the water. They paddled 15 or 20 minutes, not exhausting but not easy, and came to the site. They said the luminescence was fabulous and would go again in a minute. It seemed as if it was a long enough time to see a lot, but not too long to get tired. It did start raining while they were paddling and said you could see the raindrops turn luminous as soon as they hit the water.

I'm sure when your documents come there will be more info on this tour. It's probably not cheap but it's a once in a lifetime thing to do, so why not? The people I met could not stop talking about it, it was that much fun.

Just do it!
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Bioluminescence Kayak in San Juan

Thanks for the info. It sounds very cool!!!!!!!

Melissa

Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Melisa: Just reread my post - I didn't mean to mislead you....they paddled about 15-20 minutes to the starting spot, the entire time in the water was much longer! Actually, the ship was supposed to leave SJ at 12:00 but they didn't return until about 12:30. I was wondering why we were late leaving, but looking out my window I saw a van race up and all these laughing, wet people pour out and onto the ship. So, it seems like you get your money's worth.

Hope you do it!
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:10 PM
DebC

Check to see what the moon cycle will be while you are in San Juan. It is indeed supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime tour, but if you go anytime near the full moon, there will be too much moonlight to really see the glow in the water well. I've talked to folks who went during that time and were very disappointed. If you will be in San Juan at least 5 days before or after the full moon, then go for it!

DebC
Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Bioluminescence Kayak in San Juan

Thanks for the tip Deb. The full moon is on 12/8/03 and we will be there on 12/22/03. I think we will definitely be doing this tour. I have e-mailed my carnival rep looking for prices on some different tours as she said she could get me that info, but still haven't heard back. Guess I will have to call her tonigt.

Melissa