Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:12 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie
Default What to do in Cozumel, Georgetown and Ocho Rios

Going on the Triumph in January with my parents, brother and his wife and their two kids(7 & 10)

What is there to do in these places?
Is the shopping good?
Are they safe for the kids?

Thanks in advance!
Cassie
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What to do in Cozumel, Georgetown and Ocho Rios

Hi CAssie,

Cozumel - Chankanaab Park
Grand Cayman - Sting Ray City
Jamaica - Dunns Rivers Falls

All can be done by yourselves or a ship excursion, bet the kids love it!

Have Fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 4th, 2003, 03:22 PM
First Mate

Can some one tell me a little bit more about Dunn River and the Chankanaab Park?
Thanks
Cassie
Old December 4th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: What to do in Cozumel, Georgetown and Ocho Rios

HI Cassie,
You can read more about Chankanaab park here:

http://www.cozguide.net/chankan.html

Its a great beach day, snorkeling and they have the dolphin swim there as well. In Jamaica, you can climb the Dunns Rivers falls. Just remember to bring along water shoes or pack some old tennis shoes to wear, the rocks can be slippery.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 4th, 2003, 06:17 PM
cricket55

I also highly recommend Dunns River falls in Jamaica, but make sure you do it with the ships excursion, preferably a boat tour that arrives at DRF by beach. That way you avoid some of the worst of the merchants who will hassle the living daylights out of you. The tour operators are pretty friendly though, I'm sure only 'cause "they know where their bread is buttered" (meaning the contracts with the cruiselines). It's still worth doing this tour though, it's really a lot of fun.

DONT miss Stingray City in Cayman, it's fine to do a non-ship tour on this island as long as you are sure you will be back in time to not miss the ship, as the pier area gets major jammed with passengers from ALL the cruiselines. Carnival is the best organized here, RCCL (my line) needs to take a lesson from them, very poorly organized!.
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

What to do in:

Cozumel, anything underwater. Coz is a premier dive location in the Caribbean. If you aren't certified, you can still do a discover scuba excursion. Eagleraydiver.com is a good place to look for this. Snuba is also offered, check snuba.com and see where it is offered worldwide, including Coz and Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman, NOT shopping as things are more expensive there than at home (or on the internet). Again, underwater is where it is at. Stingray city is often a good choice. Go with someone other than the cruise line and you will save a boat load of money and the trip won't be as crowded. GCM also has nice beaches, with 7 Mile beach at the top of the list.

Of all the Caribbean islands, I would say the GCM is probably the safest of them all. They have the highest standard of living on the islands and it is all either Tourist based or Banking. Very, very low crime rate.

On Jamaica, I'd stay on the ship, unless you are looking to score some grass.
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Cozumel - if you like to snorkel this is the place, book a ships excursion to the Palencaar Reef - amazing. Channunkaab is a great place to spend a relaxing leisurly day.
Grand Caymen - Sting Ray City/Sandbar is the thing to do. The kids will love it. We choose Captain Marvin- loved him.
Jamacia- beautiful, lush, green tropical island. Dunns River Falls is a total blast. Sure the vendors can be down right rude and pushy, just avoid them, Peat Taylor is a great tour operator. If you want to see how truly beautiful Jamacia is consider booking a river rafting tour with the ship - beautiful, or spend some time at Marquertiaville.
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:01 AM
First Mate

Thank you everyone for your Info, I just had a couple more questions.

Are there alot of Vendors @ Dunn River falls?
Is the sand bar the only way to see the Stingrays?

Thanks again!
Cassie
Old December 5th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Cassie, at Dunns River Falls all the vendors are gathered in an open-air marketplace at the top of the falls, try to go around and find your bus or taxi, the best way to avoid the vendors is to arrive at the falls by boat, book an excursion by boat, that way when you reach the top of the falls, you hang a right and walk down to the beach.
As for the Sting Rays- the sandbar is the main attraction, you stand in the water that's about waist deep( i'm 5-5") and the rays will swim around you. Its really fasinating, you can feed them if you wish. If you go to just Sting Ray City you snorkel around and view the rays, you don't get up close and personal.
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:18 AM
WT

Just got back from a Western Caribbean cruise with ports of call Ocho Rio, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Had a great time in all ports. Don't stay on the ship, get out and enjoy the island. They're all different, rang from the very poor in Jamaica to the very rich in Grand Cayman.

Ocho Rio, Jamaica.
Sounded like you have a group of 6 or less. We booked a private tour with Chef & Libby (local operator) for $100 for the day. The price is good for 1-6 people, not per person. Chef's van can only fit max. 6 passangers. Chef took us anywhere we wanted. He met us outside the gate at the pier. Don't worry, no one will bite you when you walk out the gate at the pier. Chef took us outide of Ocho Rio to see the real Jamaica. The road was bad and very bumpy. That's the real Jamaica. No hassals. Nice people, beautiful mountains and beaches. If the weather is nice and the water is calm, Chef can take you to a nice spot for snorkeling. You need to bring your own snorkeling gear. We went to Dunn's River Fall in the afternoon and spent 2 hours there. With kids, you can easily spent several hours there. It's a nice park with $10/person entrance fee. It has clean restroom, locker, a nice small beach and a water fall. There is a small food stand but bring your own food if you plan on staying longer. You can climb the fall on your own or one of the park guide can guide you up the waterfall. There is no extra charge for the guide. You should bring your wet shoes to climb the fall. If you don't have one, you can either rent them for $4 or buy them for $15 inside the park. We loved the Dunn's River Fall park. It's usually very crowded in the morning so it's much nicer to go in the afternoon. Chef took us to the park & waited for us at the gate when we were ready to get back to the ship. There were shops on your way to the part exit. They're all in one shopping plaza. Merchants were aggressive. Just say NO THANKS and keep on walking. They won't stop you. We had a great time In Ocho Rio. I highly recommand using Chef & Libby as your guide for the day in Ocho Rio. You don't pay until the tour is completed. They didn't ask for credit card info when making reservation. Great value and good time. Much cheaper than the ship tour.

Grand Cayman
Like everyone said, if you like snorkeling and touching stingrays, take a tour to the stingray city. I booked the tour with Native Way Watersports. You make your reservation on the web and you don't pay until you complete the tour. It was $25/person. They pick you up from the pier, board the small bus to the marina. Then take a small boat out to the bay for 30 minute snorkeling. Then go to the stingray city. They hold the rays for your to touch and take pictures. They also have squid to feed the stingrays. Had a great time. Great value for the tour. No credit card info needed for reservation. If you happen to miss the tour or decide not to go, you won't have to pay anything. Again cheaper than the ship tour.

Cozumel
We did shopping in the morning and took a taxi to a nearby beach in the afternoon. We didn't book any tour becaus the sea was rough and snorkeling won't be good. You can easily take a taxi to the beach or the Chankanaab Park on your own. When you get to the park, pay the entrance fee and enjoy the park for the day. Taxis are everywhere and easy to find. Make sure you agree on a price before getting in. They don't use meter. Taxi fares are fixed price for every trip. Some of them ask for a higher rate than others.

All of these islands are different but all beautiful. You can use U.S. dollars on all of the islands. Make sure you carry lots of $1 bills for taxis and other small purchase. If you pay with a large U.S. dollar bill, you'll get change back in the local currency which has no use to you unless you want to spend it on that same island. If you have questions for these islands, feel free to email me directly at wei_teng@concentra.com
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Hi Wt,
What all did you do in Costa Maya??

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 7th, 2003, 09:09 AM
First Mate

What is there to shop for in these diffrent islands?
What are they known for?

Cassie
Old December 7th, 2003, 08:10 PM
First Mate

Is there any kind of turtle swim in Cozumel?
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Admiral

Hi Cassie,
No turtle farm in Cozumel that I know of, but there is one in Grand Cayman.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Cassie - not great shopping ports. Jamacia - great coffee and local coffee liquers. Caymen - very expensive - Cozumel you can get some decent deals on silver and gemstones - street hawkers are very aggressive they try to lure you into the jewlelry stores.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Grand Cayman - defifinitely do Stingray City (Nativeways are excellent!) - everyone will love this. Grand Cayman is very "westernized" so there are a lot of familiar sites - Burger King, KFC... - there are a ton of souvenir shops right at the dock - I bought some small things - they are expensive. G.C. is known for rum cakes but they can be bought on the ship too (basically same price).

Cozumel - there's a good shopping district right near the port (depending where your ship docks - may have to take a cab). I bought tanzanite jewellry there - rings and neclaces - cheaper than grand cayman. be wary though - alcohol flows very freely in cozumel (doesn't matter if you're legal drinking age or not). In fact, while you're shopping and looking in the stores, you'll be invited to come in for a shot of tequilla and to look at their items many many times. Since I was planning to spend a bit of money on higher priced jewellry, I turned down the tequilla (keep a clear head) and passed it over to my friend. He was quite intoxicated by the time I bought my jewellry!!

In Jamaica, definitely need to do Dunn's river falls - all will like it. It's a bit of a challenge, but I'm overweight and not in shape and I could manage it. It was a bit of a struggle though. Don't worry too much about pushy vendors - it wasn't that bad. just smile politely, say no, and keep walking. As long as you're not rude to them, you shouldn't have any problem.

Hope this helps.
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Go to Carlos n Charlies in Mexico, its classic
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Familiar Face

We just got back from a cruise that included stops at Georgetown and Cozumel. As the others have said, shopping is expensive at Georgetown. We happened to wander a couple blocks to the right of where we entered Georgetown, and found a place that rented "scooters". I put "scooters" in parentheses because they were more like small motorcycles if you ask me (I don't like motorcycles in general, but we had a great time). I think it went as fast as 45 mph. You have to be careful to remember to drive on the LEFT side of the road! We had a blast riding around the island on one!! My husband is an experienced dirt bike rider (even raced in his younger years) so I felt comfortable riding with him (plenty of room for 2 on one scooter.) We saw some beautiful sights that we would have never seen if we had just been walking around. It only cost $41 for 3 hours, $8 for each extra hour after that. That price includes a $10 temporary driving permit, and it is the same cost whether there is one person or two riding the scooter. We also did the Atlantis submarine in Georgetown, and while it was interesting, it was fairly expensive ($89 each for about 50 minutes underwater.) My mom had done this excursion and she said everything was beautiful and colorful, but on our excursion there was no color; in fact the tour guide even explained about how the water filters out most color. We took several pictures out of the sub's portholes, but none turned out.
In Cozumel, we had planned to shop a little, and then just go to a beach, but we had so much fun shopping that we never made it to the beach. Your kids probably wouldn't be thrilled with the shops for very long, but we definitely found better prices there than in Georgetown. Another couple (probably around 60's) at our dining table did the Mayan ruins in Cozumel, and they hadn't realized how physically strenuous it would be (also very hot). They actually felt sick afterwards, and the wife even missed formal night that evening due to the excursion wearing her out.
Old December 10th, 2003, 02:36 PM
First Mate

In terms of Native ways who does the Sting ray Sand Bar?

Thanks
Cassie
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Edgar

We stayed at La Cieba in Cozumel which had its own beach with the underwater airplane right off shore. They had excellent food, and I think they will let non-residents lounge on their private beach.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:01 PM
MeganS

Cassie-
I just want to add that in Grand Cayman my 3 & 5 year-old sons and I took our ship's excursion on the Nautilus Semi-submersible boat and it was fantastic (I'd say the best excursion I've been on)! We had the earlier excursion, and it wasn't crowded at all. You sit underneath the water and look out through the windows at the reefs and sunken ships. We saw tons of fish, a nurse shark, a sea turtle, a sting ray, and at the end they let you snorkel for a little bit at cheeseburger reef. If for some reason you don't want to see the stingrays, I would highly recommend this trip. Or, if you don't want to actually get in the water, it is a great way to see the fish.
My husband had a fabulous excursion to Sting Ray City with Soto Tours - they also stopped at two other locations to snorkel, and it was longer, and less expension than the ship tours.
We did Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, and took a boat there from the pier. We had wanted to take turns watching the boys on the beach below (they were too young to climb), but with the boat we had limited time before it returned to the ship, and had to switch places half way up the falls...at least we both got a little chance to climb.
In Cozumel we did both Chankannaab and Mr. Sanchos...for a relaxing day at the beach - I recommend Mr. Sanchos...for more variety of things in one stop - Chankannaab. I was glad we experienced both - but on two seperate days would have been better.
And I never felt unsafe with the kids.
Have fun!!