Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:41 PM
GERRY K

Default BOB-underwater adverture

Has anyone taken the Breathing Observation Bubble "BOB" excursion out of ST Thomas? Can I book this on my own? Will be on the Constellation 1-10-04 sailing. Is it available at other ports? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: BOB-underwater adverture

HI Gerry,
We also did this excursion and it was awesome, so different. We booked through the cruiseline (Royal Caribbean) and I think thats the only way to book it, and have only seen this in St. Thomas so far....it took awhile to get used to steering and things looks so close that were really not that close, but its something you don't want to miss. We actually pre-booked it on-line at the Royal Caribbean site and we were glad we did, because it was filled up, so if it looks like something you want to do, go ahead and book it early.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:44 AM
GERRY K

Default Re: Re: BOB-underwater adverture

Donna,

Thanks for the information! Do you recall how long you were on the scooters and what was the average age of the group? Also, do you know where in St. Thomas they took you? Was it by Coki Beach, or St. John? We'd love to take this trip. Both of us have done a lot of snorkling and this would be very different. Did you have any apprehensions about the safety of the equipment?

Gerry K
Old December 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM
KathyandMike

We are also interested in this excursion. I found a telephone number with a $10 off coupon at www.rummi.com. The telephone number is 340-715-0348. We are going in February. Let us know how you liked it and if you can book cheaper through the company direct. Thanks.

Kathy and Mike
Old December 20th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: BOB-underwater adverture

Hi Gerry,
The actual time on the "BOB" was only around half an hour to forty-five minutes. THey set you up in groups and you wait your turn, either by snorkeling or just hanging around on the boat. I did snorkel for awhile, but then came back onboard and most of the crew were actually from around the world, so it was very interesting to hear where they came from and what they've been doing....We were not by any beach and we no where near St. John, was just a 10-15 minute boat ride to where you go and no I was not worried about the equipment, you don't go that far down, if something did go wrong, you could easily get out and get to the top of the water. They also had a diver down there for every 2 of us on one, so there was always someone close by....I did panic once, I thought I was going to hit some rocks, but they were still a long distance away, takes some getting used to, but definitely a fun excursion and worth the money. They did say they are always booked solid, so book early.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:05 PM
Jeff G

I was one of the divers on the BOB boat. What the others told you is true. Things will get booked up solid during the season. However, don't let that stop you from trying to book it yourself. Their website is www.bobusvi.com. The site is undergoing recronstruction now but the phone number is listed along with an E-mail link. We had a Bobber on the boat a couple of weeks ago who booked it herself. Now that the season has kicked in full tilt, it will probably be more difficult but I would still try.

Some of the cruise lines tell you that you don't need to bring anything (money) along on the boat with you. Bear in mind that the divers make a large part of their livings from your tips. I can't say how many people were upset that they didn't bring cash along to tip the crew after having had an awsome experience.

I could go on but this is starting to look like a commercial. Have a good trip and GO BOBBING!
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:13 PM
Jeff G

Default Re: Re: Re: BOB-underwater adverture

Oh, lest I forget, the trip is to Buck Island. It is about six miles from the cruise ship docks.

As for safety, the things are impossible to tip over in the water. The divers are right there with you all the time watching over you and taking pictures of you and the local undersea life if you should happen to bring an underwater camera along or buy one on the boat.

I even saw a surprising number of non-swimmers go bobbing. It is that simple and safe.
Old December 25th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: BOB-underwater adverture

Post Edited (12-25-03 14:08)
Old December 26th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Hi Jeff,
I had no idea thats where we went, the snorkeling there was OK, all in all, we'd do that again, just such a different excursion.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 28th, 2003, 10:40 AM
GERRY K

Called the company direct, was told by the owner that the price is fixed so that if there is a mix of cruise bookings and direct bookings no one would feel cheated. She said good try, but no discount. So we booked the tour with the cruise line for 1/16/04. thanks to everyone for their info.
Gerry K