Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Terry Davis

Default Where to go in Cozumel for snorkeling?

Where shoud we go for the best snorkeling expierence in Cozumel? We would like to go from a beach if possiable. Does Chankanaab Park have snorkeling? Please send me your thoughts. We are sailing on the Carnival Victory on April 11, 2004. This is our third cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
stuff&things

Default Re: Where to go in Cozumel for snorkeling?

OUr local dive shop guy goes to Cozumel 5 - 6 times a year. He focuses on underwater photography and he told us the best place to go is the park. He knew we were snorkeling, not diving, and said it really is the best. I mentioned the reef (Pelincar or however you spell it) and he said it was better for divers. Haven't been yet, so I can't give you personal experience, only our local guy.
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM
seabee

Check out the Cozumel Board (Port of Call) on CruiseCritic.com. There is a discussion about a new place called Club Dzul Ha which is adjacent to Dzul Ha. this place is getting rave reviews. I think the Thread is something like "Another New beach" or something.
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Terry Davis

Thank you "Stuff&things" and "Seabee" for your reply. Iwill check out your suggestions.
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:53 PM
leighbee

Hi. We just got off the Victory and we went to Chankanaab Park. We snorkeled there. It was pretty good. I guess it depends on your snorkeling history and how much you have done. I have snorkeled at some better places but have also been at some worse places. The park is really nice though and a lot less crowded than some of the other beaches.
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Admiral

We snorkled the Palencaar Reef and all i can tell you is that it was awesome and amazing. Its a really easy swim, the current pushes you along. We had a great dive master, he spotted a sea turtle, dove down and brought it back up for all to see. We saw lots of fish, a barracuda, eels. You have to get there by boat.
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Terry Davis

Thank you Leighbee and Lisak for your input. I found that the best place to snorkel for us thus far was in Roatan, Hondouras (not sure on the spelling). The water was crystal clear. Were either of you discouraged from taking bread into the water to feed the fish?
We did this in Roatan and it was amazing the amount of fish that appered out of no where. We packed zip lock baggies in our luggage and the night before we were to go snorkeling we brought bread back from dinner and put it into the baggies and took them on our trip. It's the best way to attract fish.
I feel we have decided to go to Chankanaab Park but I'm still keeping an open mind and willing to consider other options. Thanks for all your input.