Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:29 AM
dee-lynn

Default rough seas???

Hubby and i are leaving Miami port for an 11 night cruise aboard Brilliance on March 29/04. The first two days will be sea days. I have heard people mention the waters from Miami to San Juan (our first port) will be rough...is this true??? they say for some reason this is not a calm part of the sea. Maybe it's because of the the time of year??? I don't want to get sea sick!!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:01 AM
loua

Default Re: rough seas???

Take Dramamine.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
dee-lynn

Default Re: Re: rough seas???

yes, but the question is...will the sea really be that rough???
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: rough seas???

The protected areas of the Caribbean tend to be like a big bathtub (unless there is a storm). The strecth of Ocean between Florida and Puerto Rico is really fairly open ocean. Will it be rough? Weather is certainly a factor , as is your tolerance for motion sickness.
I can recall having breakfast the first morning of our first cruise. After being rocked gently to sleep we awoke and had breakfast with a family who had worked themselves into a frenzy over the motion. They were up all night and had several calls from the doctor. Most folks around us joined in on the conversation and frankly had no idea what these folks were bothered about.
Motion sickness and being prone to it is mostly a physical thing. Do you get car sick or air sick (from the motion)? if yes, then you will be prone to sea sickness and should look into Dramamine, Bonine, "the patch" (by perscription, a scopalimine patch) or Sea Bands.
If you are not prone to motion sickness on shore then more than likely it will not effect you at sea.
If you convince yourself you are going to get sick, then you might suffer from an anxiety attack , but this will not be motion sickness.
To be safe, take something like Bonine as you board (according to directions). Stay away from alcoholic beverages and you should be fine.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
Admiral

in the Caribbean a little chop is considered rough seas to some folks, since most of the time the Caribbean is as calm as a pond. Will you feel the motion of the ship? of course you will you are on a moving vessel. If you are prone to motion sickness when you fly or drive - then have some Bonine or use the Sea Bands - best advise is to get outside into the fresh air, enjoy the beautiful sea and have a glass of ginger-ale.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
First Mate

I was worried about getting seasick when we were going on our first cruise. As it turned out neither of us got sick, despite some choppiness and a lot of rocking motion. We did however have patches just in case, and we have taken them with us every time - again, just in case. Best advice? Relax and have a great cruise!
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

The water could be rough or smooth depending on weather.

My best advise.... Stay calm and relaxed, keep food in you such as rolls or bagels along with gingerale, get plenty of fresh air and take along Sea Bands just in case.
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Mark&Deb

I was worried about getting seasick too. We had the sea bands but we also had the scopolamine patches. Never got sick & yes it would rough some days. Could feel the ship moving most of the time. From FLL to San Juan was rough & the nite of the captain's champagne party we all laughed at how drunk we all walked!!! The last nite from Nassau to FLL from midnite to docking was very windy-could hear the wind whistling - we slept through it!! The captain in the morning said we had gone through fog, rain & 75mph winds. It can be rough yes but we never got sick.

Mark&Deb
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan 3 times in February. It was the smoothest section of seas we ever saw. The captain followed along the north coast of Cuba & the Dominican Republic. The waters there tend to be calmer there because they are protected by the Bahamas. Just off the coast of San Juan there were slight swells and we did feel a bit of motion. As it's been said "Weather is certainly a factor" February & March do tend to be a calmer months. Larger ships like the Brilliance also tend to have less motion. I am very aware of motion when I fly, also when I cruise. I have found the best thing for me is to stay up right and not lay down, you feel more of the motion when you are lying down. If it's day time go for a walk on deck, most people say that you shouldn't look at the horizon but that's all in your head. Your body can become confused with the motion when it can see the movement. If you like ginger or ginger ale it's the best thing for an upset stomach.
Enjoy yourself!
Old January 25th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Marina

i agree with pappabill. we took cruise few years ago on the Festival, little ship, it rocked and rolled for a weekl. lots of people never left their room. we had a great time. just sorta walk which ever way the ship is leaning. we were doing a line dance and as the ship rocked, we just keep dancing to the lower side, then back. lots of fun.. get the pill or patch or what ever and enjoy.. the big ships have taken a lot of fun out of cruiseing .
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Passenger

We always take a perscription med called Antivert -Your doc can get it for you..
We NEVER get sea sick..whereas with the scop patch, some people do get sick.
We have been doing this for 20 years...and depending on the size of your ship,
the waters can be choppy or calm..and you may or may not feel a thing...

The reason it is said that Fla to San Juan is choppy is that you are still in the Atlantic Ocean...and once you hit the Caribbean, it is smoother sailing..

But seriously, I would NOT worry about anything with the Antivert Pills...They really do work....