Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
adalace

Default St thomas ferry to Tortola

Has anyone taken the ferry from St thomas to Tortola West End?
If so how was the commute and dealing w/immigration?
I will be in St Thomas on a Sunday so we've decided to go to Tortola and swim w/dolphins?
I've checked the ferry times already and we have adequate time to go and come back.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to ydoodle
Default Re: St thomas ferry to Tortola

We'll be in St. Thomas in April, and I was looking for something different to do. Tortola sounds like a great idea. Where would I get the ferry times to either St. John or Tortola? Where in St. Thomas would I catch the ferry?
Thanks for any help you could give.

Nancy
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:29 PM
adalace

The name of the ferry to Tortola is Smith Ferry Services.
The one to St. John, thats a different one.
Check out www.st-thomas.com/week/ferries.html
You will find all the information about the ferries leaving ST THOMAS back and forth.
I believe from what I read, that the ferries are very close to the ship dock. Its all walking distance from the ship.
Hope this helps.
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:59 AM
MichelleM

Also check out www.vinow.com for ferry schedules.
Old January 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: St thomas ferry to Tortola

Not quite walking distance. Ferries for Tortola leave from Front St in downtown Charlottle Amolie. Ferries to Tortola are nortorious for running late so be sure your return trip has plenty of wiggle room in it. Your first stop in Tortola will be West End.
All passengers must go through customs. This can take 5 minutes to 40 minutes depending on where you are in line. Don't be the pushy American tourist at this juntion of your trip or I can guarantee you'll be the last one out of the building. One or two go on to Roadtown but you might do better with a cab from the West End.
You will repeat the customs on your way back from Tortola. Again, can take 5 minutes to 40 minutes. Do keep in mind that a cab from downtown back to the pier can take quite a while at the end of the day as everyone heads back to the ship.

Although a nice idea (Tortola one of my favorate places), I don't know that I would
rely on Smiths Ferry to get you anywhere on time. Example. During our last trip we were trying to catch a 12 45 pm ferry from St Thomas to Tortola. Plane landed late, traffic from the airport and a few other minor problems got us thereat 1:10 pm. No problem , Ferry was still there waiting for a local who called and asked them to wait. The 12:45 ferry finally left at 1:40. Things run on "island time" . Your ship will not leave on "island time".
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Annecy

Default Re: Re: Re: St thomas ferry to Tortola

For papabill. Any suggestions on a good place to stay in Tortola? We are going to ferry over from St. Johns for the Dolphin swim. We will be there in early September.
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:24 PM
HeySailor

Another caveat--those printed/Web ferry schedules are not necessarily up to date. Schedules do change with no notice, so when you go over to Tortola, ask about times for the ferries back before you leave the ferry dock.
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: St thomas ferry to Tortola

Many resorts in the BVI"s close for the period from late August to mid to late October. I wonder if the Dolphin encounter closes as well? Anyway, most places I would recommend would be on the opposite side of the island from the dolphin encounter, however, just a cab ride away. I like the very unassuming totally laid back atmosphere of Cane Garden Bay. Lighthouse , Ole Works Inn, Elm, Myetts. would be all I need.
Bo to this web site bviwelcome.com It is the official site of the BVI tourist board and if you can't find the answer there it doesn't exist.
Old January 28th, 2004, 08:01 PM
HeySailor

Don't forget Bomba's full moon parties in Carrot Bay!