Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Default Casa de Campo

I have not read anything good about Casa de Campo from other visitors. Has anyone had a positive experience at Casa de Campo? My wife and I are sailing on the Millenium (Celebrity) on February 8th, and Casa de Campo is our first stop. We hate to miss anything good at this stop, but, we have not been able to locate any satisfied customers from Celebrity cruises shore excursions. Maybe the Bayahibe Beach Break? How about the Romantic Evening Sunset Cruise or the Happy Hour Cruise? We are there from 1:00 p.m.. to 11:00 p.m. Thanks for any advice. OhioTim

Old January 26th, 2004, 07:37 AM
loua

Default Re: Casa de Campo

We are on Millie when you get off..our sailing is 2/15....I had the same questions about Casa De Campo...the following is an excerpt from a response I received asking the same question......

"On our flight into Miami, we sat by a woman named Mary who had spent two weeks at the Casa de Campo resort. She said the Altos de Chavon artist village was a must-see with great art and restaurants. She also recommended the golf courses.
Based on her recommendation, we booked the Altos de Chavon Village and Riverboat tour, and we did not regret it! We rode a bus from the pier for a tour of Casa de Campo resort (including Sammy Sosa's home) to the river, and boarded the riverboat. As soon as we pulled away from the bank, three boats sped up beside us, selling us local "souvenirs" -- caps, necklaces, etc. The lower deck had merengue music and dancing, while the upper deck was quieter and more scenic. We "paddled" (actually motored) up the river and back down, with many beautiful photos along the way. And they were pouring the Dominican rum and Pepsi freely! We re-boarded our bus and traveled up the bluff to the Altos de Chavon artist village. This was built by a prince for his lover in 1980, but in the style of a Mediterranean artist village from the 1700s. Beautiful! It overlooked the rain forest, river, and a beautiful golf course at Casa de Campo. We browsed through many lovely shops -- lots of art -- and tried the local Mamajuana (liquid ****** for women and men -- tasted like cherry root beer), saw some neat restaurants (no time to eat with the ship excursion), and great photo ops. Then back on the tour bus to the ship! We really enjoyed this port!.."

We plan on taking a shuttle or taxi to Altos sometime during our stop...it sounds interesting ......enjoy
Old January 26th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Passenger

loua,

Sounds like Altos de Chavon Village/Artist Shops, etc. would be nice. However, on Celebrity, the only thing that sounds close to it is the Evening River Cruise. But, it does not say anything about stopping at Altos de Chavon Village, etc. It sounded like you just ride up the river and back. Also, this tour doesn't start till 6:30 p.m. It will be dark by then. I'm not sure we would get to see much at night. Are you planning to take this side trip outside of Celebrity's shore excursions? Do you know how far Altos de Chavon village is from where the ship docks? I'd love to see the Artists collections, and the overlook to the golf courses etc. Sounds nice. But, at night? Please give me your opinion. Thanks for corresponding on this. OhioTim

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Casa de Campo

Hey Ohio Tim- We are also on the Feb 8th sailing and also from Ohio-(Cleveland). I have been trying to find out as much as I can about Casa de Campo and I havn't gotten much feed back either-Maybe just a beach break tour ???How many are in your party? There are 4 of us traveling to celebrate mine and my husbands 10th wedding anniv. Can't wait-!!!! Tracey
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:09 AM
loua

Default Re: Re: Casa de Campo

We didn't see any excursions from Celebrity either...I understand it is a short cab ride away...
Old January 27th, 2004, 10:52 AM
sparks

Default Re: Re: Re: Casa de Campo

I e-mailed Casa de Campo to see if we could get a day pass & they said no. The excursions from Celebrity are not very interesting to me. Has anyone just taken a taxi to Altos de Chavon?
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Marina

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Casa de Campo

the DR seems to be a mystery.... carnival jubilee has a cataline island beach break, and saona beach that is 7 hours. i have no idea why we cant find out this info. still no answer from carnival when i asked if it would be recommended by the ship that we not go ashore in DR like last year it was reommended not to go ashore in Martnique. 3 days and still nothing, except we would dock in La Roma and would sleep there, thats not an answer to me. someone telllllllllllllllllllllllllllll us about DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!pleaseeeeeeeeeeee
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Casa de Campo

Sparks, from all that I have read, Celebrity provides free transportation to the Altos de Chavon village. The transfer bus stops first at the pier building at the Marina and then goes onto the Village.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM
loua

THANKS NANA....! finally somone with some solid info !!!!

Loua
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=02&year=2004&day=15&hour=16:30[/img]

on MILLIE !!!!
Old January 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Marina

what about snorkling in DR?
Old January 29th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Parrot Mom

What do you want to know...we are going back on Friday..tomorrow...for the 3rd time.. and this time we will be going to Kandela at Altos De Chavon.. it is as musical review in the ampitheatre..and has received rave reviews.. Celebrity was offering it. We wil be at a resort a little way off. What we did was take also a taxi into La Romana and find the big supermarket and load up on Dominical coffee beans...and 151 proof rum...fresh coffee and strong great rum--walked around the square, bought an ice cream and enjoyed the atmosphere.. There is a lovely church there too.
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Thanks Parrott Mom. I forgot about local souvenirs; coffee and rum. Is there a store to buy fresh rolled Dominican cigars, too?

Caribbean Princess
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:32 PM
jrs

There is all this talk about attractions, but has anyone hit the beach in Casa de Campo? I'm looking for a beach day at a public beach. Any feedback?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM
Admiral

jrs, we too just want a clean and safe beach with our grand children. Bayahibe beach is the only one I have read about. Taxi is available from the port building. The driver will wait for you. Also, Celebrity's Bayahibe Beach Break is available at $36pp. Sounds good for those who like a "drink" and BBQ type food, which is supposed to be included. Its a little costly for our family of 7 plus the environment is European style. (topless & thong)

My daughter & son-in-law have booked the Sunset Cruise which leaves at 5PM.

Bon Voyage
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM
rocketcitylady

Last October I was on a cruise that stopped at Casa de Campo. Next to the pier there is a tourist-visitor center type set-up with taxis available. You will have no problem getting a taxi to take you to the Altos de Chavron village. I was travelling solo; shared a taxi into town with a nice young couple--the husband spoke some spanish. We browsed around a couple of shops, then had the driver take us to the Altos de Chavron village. They went their way; I went mine. We met back at the van at the appointed time; the driver waited for us. We had a great time. The village is beautiful. Also, the driver charged by the hour (for the group--not each). So, I believe the total for the three of us was less than what we would have paid per person for the ship's tour. We thought the downtown area was very interesting. I would love to get motivated to learn some spanish and visit this port again.
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Parrot Mom

Just back from La Romana..First the cab drivers there are "bandits"in that they rip off the tourists and charge $30.00 each way to go to town.That said if you can take an excursion that includes Altos de Chavon and the town of La Romana and Jumby (a supermarket) take it.. I think they stop at a "cigar factory", but you can buy them in the supermarket. Many of the cruise ships, especially Costa, sell beach/pool excursions to Sunscape Casa del Mar..The beach is gorgeous as is the turquoise warm water. Plenty of chaises and palm trees on the beach. At the pool there are pergolas that provide shade and there are chaises available all day long... At the beach there are vendors at the very end...and a simple 'no thank you" or "no gracious".. is fine.. Alot of the things they sell are paintings which I swear are paint by numbers..lol This trip one booth had some lovely litte mahogany trays...we bartered with a friend and ended up with two for $20.00. You have to realize that these "vendors" work for somebody and must work on commission....they too work hard to earn a living.. As for negative reviews of Casa de Campo...I take alot of that with a grain of salt..it is the best and was the finest resort of it's type in the Caribbean.Many superstars such as Julio Inglese, Oscar de LaRenta and basketball great Michael Jackson owned homes there and many have since moved up to Punta Cana. No wonder they laughed at us I hadn't realized Sammy Sousa lived in the area... My husband wore Red Sox shirts...lol If you want more info please write.. The Kandella experience is wonderful and I urge you all to go....free cushions are provided..lol..
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Thanks Parrott Mom. We already have our Red Sox stuff packed for the DR! Pedro Martinez, Manny Riveria as well as Sammy are all from the DR. They love baseball. We are bringing a souvenir hat for our Taxi driver.
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Parrot Mom

Don't think you need to do that...there is a flea market in La Romana that has all sorts of baseball hats.. I think many are made there..My husband wore many Red Sox shirts, including a Ted williams, Garciaparra... and joked with the staff in spanish about Rodrigez, Manny (loco Manny) and Garciaparra....forgot about David Ortiz. As a matter of fact last year one of the staff at the hotel we were at would have picked up shirts in Santo Domingo if we had asked.. actually forgot about asking this year. The new Red Sox School or whatever isn't far I hear from La Romana, but they aren't set up for visitors yet. "Talked" to somebody over the internet who is from the Boston area and wil be trying to setup trips to their facility.