Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Passenger

Default Handicapped shore excursions???

First, let me say this is an awesome website. Tons of excellent information!

My family is taking the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas cruise from Galveston in October. My mom is confined to a wheelchair with very limited mobility - climbing stairs is out of the question for her. I am trying to get an idea of what shore excursions would be good for her. This is my parents first cruise and I want them to have a great time.

The ports of call are Key West, FL; Georgetown, Grand Cayman; and Cozumel, Mexico. My mom would really love to see the Tulum ruins in Cozumel. We'll have 4 men in the group so getting her through a few rough areas and a stair or two would be fine. My mom knows we're not going to take her to the top of the temple staircase.

If there is a bus tour with a wheelchair ramp or lift, that would be great. I contacted RCCL and have some good ideas, but sometimes what is advertised as being accessible isn't really.

THANKS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
BillF

Default Re: Handicapped shore excursions???

About 5 yrs ago I cruised on RCL's Granduer of the Seas with my Father-in-Law who was in a wheel chair. Everything from the cabin space to the public areas were very handicap accessible.
One of our stops was at a beach that had to use a tender. We assumed that he would stay aboard but the night before a note was left on his cabin door telling him that if wanted to come ashore to come at a certian time to a specific deck. They had a spot on the tender for a wheel chair.
When we got to the beach they had large wheeled chairs, transferred him to one and actually had a local native push him around on the beach.
We were amazed by RCL's care and preparation for someone in a wheel chair.
Good Luck on your cruise.
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Marina

Default Re: Handicapped shore excursions???

who wonderful BillF. gave me goose bumps whern i read that. some people do really care, i will check RCL for our next cruise, just because of what u wrote, thank u so much.