Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
Patifa

Default Grand Cayman

We've signed up for Singray City Charters and have a couple of hours left in Grand Cayman after our excursion. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to Hell from the port and how much a cab would charge? Want to send a postcard from Hell :-)
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Grand Cayman

That whole end of the island is only 7 miles long so it can't be far or take that long.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Grand Cayman

Just because the whole end of the island is only 7 miles long doesn't mean it can't take long to get there and back. Traffic can be pretty congested in the afternoon around the port, especially when there are several (or more) cruise ships visiting that day.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
Admiral

doubtful, mainly because you need to be aboard ship 1 hour before she sails, that only gives you and hour to get there and back, and the traffic in Caymen can be terrible with all the ships in port.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

I spent a week on Grand Cayman this past fall. Traffic on Seven mile is pretty congested so I would guess about 30 minutes one way.

The cab ride is probably going to cost $20 to $30 US. Most of the cabs are not metered, but the rates are posted. The rates will be in CAYMAN dollars which are worth $1.25 US.

There is a public bus system, but I don't know for sure that it goes to Hell, but I think it does, If so, it would only cost about $1.50 GC. You can catch it around the post office in Georgetown, or if you know the color of the line you want, just wave it down, I don't think there are any real bus stops or anything, just tell them where you want off. I WOULD not try this with only a couple of hours to spare.

Remember Grand Cayman time is an hour off ship time.

The 'town' of Hell is not even a wide spot in the road. IMHO it would be a waste of time.

Chuck

Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
Patifa

Chuck -- Thanks for the great information!

Since you think that going to Hell might not be worth the effort, can you recommend a nice beach -- one that's not going to be crowded with cruise ship travelers?

Thanks again and have fun on the Adventurer!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
LovetheSea

I have been to Grand Cayman twice. This is what we did. We went to Stingray City. Then afterwards asked to be dropped off at 7 mile beach. We went in through a public access. Walked far away from the hoards of people, spread our sarongs on the sand and swam and enjoyed the beach time. Caught a cab back. We also stopped at Tortuga Rum store and sampled rum cakes YUM! I also think they have the best rum in the Caribbean.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

How long is your ship in port? On our trip on Celebrity last March, the ship was in port from 7 until 5...but because of rougher seas, the tendering was slowed considerably, We were scheduled for an 11:00 excursion to Sting Ray City, but our group did not tender until 1:00, and the afternoon excursion was cancelled. We didn't even get back to the port until 5:30, but since we booked thru the cruise line, we weren't concerned about the ship leaving without us.

As far as beaches...if you do end up with some extra time, 7 mile beach is quite close to the port, so you should be able to take a cab to one of the hotels and use their beach.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

7 Mile is a nice beach and there are several public access points along the main drag. Most of them are not real well marked, and have no parking etc. There is a large one with parking etc. up a ways, but sorry, I can't remember exactly where.

My favorite place on GC is Rum Point, but again, I doubt that you could get there and back in time.

Chuck