Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Default Limon, Costa Rica. Williamstad, Curacao

We will be visiting Puerto Limon later this month on a cruise ship and have booked a land tour for the "Rain forest Aerial tram" and was wondering if anyone had any comments regarding this tour or could recommend an alternative.
We are cruising on Holland America and would appreciate some feedback.
We reviewed the available tours in Williamstad and could find nothing that sounded interesting. Any ideas??
Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Limon, Costa Rica. Williamstad, Curacao

I am not familar with HAL's shore tours but both ports can be done very easily on your own. The Aerial Tram tour is very popular and should be booked through the ship. However, many people don't realize you are going into the Rainforest where it ?? Rains. The foliage cover is very thick and often you will not be able to see much wild life, if that is what is important to you. The tram cars only hold 6 people with a guide, so lines are long in the humid heat. These are just facts that have been mentioned during my research. An alternate and the number one rated tour at Limon can be purchased at the Tent area just at the end of the dock; Tortugero Canal and Banana Plantation tour which will be about 3 1/2 hrs. in a private vehicle @ $45 per couple. This included numerous stops; Playa Bonita, The canal tour with guide, a walking tour of the Dole Banana Plantation and plant, looks at the local flora & fauna and the 3 toed sloths plus our driver stopped at a supermarket for me at my request and even helped with currency conversion.
At Curaco, also a taxi tour to the Plantation house, a visit to the Aquarium and even a stop at Aquarium beach right next store was pretty nice. Skip the Curacao liquor factory, Barcardi its not.
Bon Voyage
Old February 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Limon, Costa Rica. Williamstad, Curacao

We did a Torteguero Canal tour off the ship. Great excursion. Fabulous widlife, Birds, monkeys, sloths, crocadiles , vultures, cranes, flamingos, herons, flowers, trees.
might even see a bull shark .
Old February 6th, 2004, 12:13 PM
LMG

We did the Rain Forest Ariel Tram in Costa Rica last October. It was very nice and the tourguides were very good. However, you don't see much(if any) wildlife from the tram. I'm not sure if that time of year is different, but we saw little more than many types of trees. I found the bus to the tram to be much more interesting. We saw a sloth and the driver pulled off the road and the tour guide told us a little about the banana plantation.

I am likely to return to Costa Rica with my teenagers and will choose the Torteguero Canal tour. They would be bored with the Ariel Tram.
Old February 6th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Curacao is a great place to just wander around the downtown water front, lots of great little shops. The Aquarium is very nice and so is the beach next door.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Beginner

Its a Rip Off.

You should try the ZIP LINE at Almonds & Corals it is really COOL.

Contact them at http://www.almondsandcorals.com

I did this in January and it is a great adventure.
Old February 26th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Gordon Robinson

We had the option of going to the tram but was talked out of it by our guide. Too commercial, long lines, don't see much wildlife, etc. We did a tour through Greenway Tours instead. Went to the Tortuguero Canals, Cahuita Park, and the Sloth's Paradise. Well worth it! Mario Leon was a great guide and we were with him for eight hours. $100.00 per person but than anything the ship can offer. He can be reached at www.costarica-ecotourism.com or www.cruceros.co.cr.