Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:34 PM
ShannonR

Default Mayan ruins in Costa Maya

I am sailing on the Inspiration in just a few days and I want to book an excursion to a Mayan Ruin in Costa Maya. The two that I have found the most information on are Kohunlich and Chacchoben. Chacchoben is noted as being "unexcivated," while Kohunlich is said to be "extensive."
I love the thought of wandering through unexplored areas, yet I also like the idea that I will have amazing sights that have been brought back to original beauty...
Any Suggestions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:35 PM
ShannonR

Default Re: Mayan ruins in Costa Maya

oops forgot to change the date there

ONLY
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:47 PM
sjbj

Shannon,
Are you on the 2/15 sailing of Inspiration? So are we (me, husband, 11 year old son). We are going to do one of these Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya also. I'd love to do Kohunlich, but it's a 2 hour bus ride each way and it was reported here a couple of months ago that there had been a fire and part of the site was closed. I have not heard if it's been completely reopened. We are going to do Chacchoben because it's only a 1 hour ride each way. Also, I'd like to have some time left to explore the pier area. A 4-hour bus ride is pretty hard on an 11 year old. We will probably book thru the ship but all of our other excursions are booked privately. I could not find any online tour operators for this port or any recommendations.
Old February 6th, 2004, 06:52 AM
ShannonR

I am on the Inspiration too and I just can't wait!!! I also booked everyother excursion through the internet but I think this one I will go through Carnival for two reasons. A) After about 2 hours of looking I only found one website that offers tours and it didn't seem all that grand, and B) My mother recently had surgury on her neck an back and a bus ride like that on top of hiking and walking through the ruins may cause her a lot of pain. So I'll be doing this one alone and I think even though its probably more expensive through Carnival, I would feel more comfortible going with a group of people who I have met... I have been sworn to pay the 10 video fee and record every inch I see so she doesn't feel like she missed it.
As I look out my window right now at my car burried under the 4inches of snow that fell last night I JUST CANT WAIT.
Old February 9th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Mayan ruins in Costa Maya

I was on the Inspiration 12/21 and did the "C" ruins... 1hr drive, good roads, and a great tour.. have pix here..
http://community.webshots.com/user/danswack

RCL Legend of the Seas July 1999 Alaska
NCL Majesty Feb 2003 W Carr.

Old February 10th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Passenger

I've not been to Chacchoben, but in Jan 2002 my wife and I did a Princess excursion to Dzibanche and Kohunlich. It is a bit of bus ride, but Kohunlich was definitely worth it. I wasn't all that impressed with Dzibanche, but I would highly recommend Kohunlich. The Temple of the Masks was very impressive. The entire site is large and includes a number of buildings, including a ball court (the rings were no longer on the walls, but the court is still identifiable). The highlight of Kohunlich is definitely the Temple of the Masks.