Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Infidean

Default Dunn's River Falls

We are going to Ocho Rios next week. We have 3 children, one is an infant. We don't want to spend the money taking a tour when one adult and the baby can't walk up the falls. Has anyone taken a cab to the falls and walked up on their own? It is $10 per person to get in and $8 for the children compared to the price of an official cruise tour. Is this a good and SAFE plan?
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dunn's River Falls

i don't know the prices but a lot of folks walk up the stairs alongside the falls, the falls are very pretty and its refreshing and cool. As long as you take an official bonded cab you will have no problems, the cabs are clearly marked.
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

My family climbed the fall by ourselves. I paid $22 for a round trip taxi ride, and the driver waited while we climb the fall. You can definitely climb it yourself; all you have to do is to follow whatever group that is there. Buy a water camera so you can take picture along the way and you definitely will need aqua nonslip socks/shoes. The only bad thing is you have to run the gauntlet of pushy vendors when you exit; they purposefully made the exit very confusing so you have to go through the vendors market.

There is a walkway along the fall with stops in between for you to take pictures and to dip in the water. You don't actually have to climb to see the fall.

Post Edited (02-11-04 13:57)
Old February 11th, 2004, 02:15 PM
James & Kelly

We took a cab to the Falls & climmbed it ourselves. There was 5 adults & 4 kids (6-12). Be sure to take water shoes. Take your time walking up the falls. A lot of the tour guides were a little mad because we were "in thier way" but I just let them know that we paid to climb & I did not care if we were in thier way. They just went around us. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to do the climb, but it was well worth it. Who would have thought in a million years that my husband & I would have EVER climbed a 600 foot waterfall w/ our kids!! It was something that we will never forget!
Old February 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Passenger

Thanks all. We have 8 & 10 yr. olds and I was wondering myself if they would be able to handle the climb. Hell, I'm wondering if I can do it :-). I guess we should bring water bottles, huh?
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Donna077

Default Re: Re: Dunn's River Falls

Is there a base charge to get into the falls? Is this in addition to a tour guide?
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Infidean

It costs $8 for children and $10 for 12 years and up to walk the falls. You can join a group and they do ask for tips at the end. When we were there, a guy carried our cameras and he also asked for a tip.
Old February 16th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Bungalow Bill

Default Re: Re: Dunn's River Falls

My family did the climb when my girls were 8 & 10 with no problems. The idea of latching on to one of the tour groups for only tips is a good one.