Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie
Default JELLYFISH - COZUMEL

My family and I went to Paradise beach in Cozumel and were stung several times. Once we returned to the boat we talked with many other families that wnet swimming and were stung at diffrent beaches. IF you go please take some jellyfish-off lotion. IF needed it can be bought in the store on hte boat!

Cassie
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Courtland

Default Re: JELLYFISH - COZUMEL

what time of year were you at cozumel.? we are going next month.
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
First Mate

We wee there in January of this year. The jellyfish don't hurt that bad, but its a pain cause you can't see em!
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:48 PM
MichelleM

There were quite a few tiny jellyfish in the water in Cozumel when we cruised there in early December a few years ago. My cousin got stung a couple times while in the water but by the time he got back to the ship he was better. They were just tiny little things a little bigger then a silverdollar.
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Passenger

OK -- NOW I'm PANICKING!! If I take my son in ANY OCEAN & he gets stung by a jellyfish (I don't care how small/how little it hurts) I will NEVER get him in the OCEAN again this cruise!!!!!! Please, people, please tell me that there won't be any jellyfish in the Western Carribbean next month (March)........

deb c.
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:15 PM
First Mate

I took my 6 year old niece and 10 year old nephew they both were stung and it did not phase em. If your son stays in the shalloy (below 3ft) he should be fine...Im not sure if you willl have a problem or not...no one ever mentioned the chance of Jellyfish to me so im not sure if it was the time of year or not. Just to be sure id buy the Jellyfish off stuff....im not sure where else you can buy it but i know they sell it in the store on the boat. The stuff also gets rid of the Ocean lice(sp) and some other stuff.

Good luck!
Cassie
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Re: JELLYFISH - COZUMEL

By March they usually have netted them all and keep them in a holding area until the summer season is over. They also collect all the seaweed so you don't step on any when in the water. Here is a picture of one.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:34 PM
First Mate

I have never seen a Jellyfish before. Thanks for the Pic Dave!
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

They are neither jelly nor fish. There are thousands of differents types like fish. They only live for 3-6 months. Go to www.jellyfish.com and learn all about them. This is another good site: http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/jelyfish.html

Post Edited (02-18-04 14:48)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Jellyfish aren't really "seasonal" animals. You can encounter them anytime of year. Take some meat tenderizer with you - it's the best thing around for jellyfish stings.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Passenger

I AM GOING TO COZUMEL NEXT MONTH ALSO ON VOS ON 03/21/04. WHEN ARE YOU TRAVELING?
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've heard of those jellyfish before, but have never met one in Cozumel. Dave, that picture looks big and mean! I know I'm allergic to wasp stings and had a bad reaction to a jellyfish in the Carolinas - I think I'll play it safe and try to get some of that repellant stuff the next time I'm near Mexico.
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Admiral

That picture was actually under the ice in Alaska not in Cozumel. The little ones there are clear and about the size of a silver dollar.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Passenger

My wife and I encounter these jellyfish last time we were in Cozumel. On two previous trips, there were NO jellyfish. The creatures in question are called Thimble Jellyfish - aptly named as they are about the size of a thimble. If you're curious, do a google search, but the sting is not really that bad. Just a small irritation. The trick is the use a sunscreen over ALL exposed parts of the body, or vasaline. The sunscreen lotion makes it so the Thimble Jellyfish can't stick to your body, and therefore, can't sting you. With this in mind, the only place I got stung was just above the waistband on my swimtrunks. My wife got it on the lip. Of course, we were also swimming right through the "clouds" of these things. It's not just one or two in the water. It's thousands, so there will no mistaking if they are present or not. If it doesn't look like there is a light brown debris in the water, then you're fine. Honestly, not really a big deal. Check the attachment for a picture of the Thimble Jellyfish.

Norwegian Sea - 5/99
Majesty of the Seas - 4/00
Norwegian Wind - 4/01
Veendam - 4/03
Summit
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Teri Kohley

I have not experienced the jelly fish in carib, but in Hawaii the jelly fish appear about 1 week after a full moon. So watch the phases of the moon and plan accordingly.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went diving while in Acapulco in June and there were tons of Jellyfish about the size of the ones in the picture. During this time of the year they were dormant and didnt sting. The guides even picked some of them up and let us hold them and touch them. I am not sure if the ones in Cozumel go dormant like that though.
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
seabee

They also have "Sea Lice" which unfortunately are prevalent in the Spring. There has been some previous discussion here and on other boards about a product which I can't recall that supposedly works well to prevent the Sea Lice from irritating.
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:50 PM
Passenger

We have been there a few times and always go to Chaukanaub Park. Beautiful beach, excellent snorkeling and have never seen a jellyfish there. We always go in April so I don't know if this makesa a difference but I would highly recommend going there. We saw more fish there than anyone that took cruise excursions. Also they have a beautiful botanical area there and you can swim with dolphins and iguanas walk around there. What a wonderful, beautiful place to go.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Breeda

Default Re: Re: Re: JELLYFISH - COZUMEL

Hi Dave -
We are going on the Enchantment of the Seas (RC) at the end of March - Key west and Cozumel. first time cruisers -- any advice? My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary. Not terribly adventurous, but that snuba in Cozumel sounds fun. If we are not great athletes can we do this? Any other good ideas?
Thanks
Breeda
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: JELLYFISH - COZUMEL

My best advice is have fun! I have done snuba in Key West. It is a battery powered airpump so you can breathe surface air through a hose while underwater. It floats around behind you in sort of a life ring. Easy to do. I haven't been to Cozumel since 1990 on the Song of America for seven nights. Been to the Bahamas on the last five cruises. I am looking forward to my first trip on the Enchantment in May. Benn on Sovereign 4 times and Majesty once. All 4 night cruises.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: JELLYFISH - COZUMEL

we were at chankanaab park this january and both my sister and I were bitten, but her husband and our brother didn't. we didn't know what was biting us because we couldn't see anything but were later told that it was "sea lice". I had been to cozumel before and never had that happen. I didn't enjoy the snorkeling as I had before. I just panicked because I couldn't see what was doing the biting.