Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:24 AM
~Jay~

Default Locals in Ocho Rios

anyone ever buy from the locals in ocho rios?? They ask you every 10 seconds, i was wondering if anyone ever had any trouble when buying from them.
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:10 PM
VZ

Default Re: Locals in Ocho Rios

Ocho Rios!...the worst port I've ever been too...non stop presuure from cabs, to selling drugs, to excursions...everything!...had a friend who insisted on doing Dunn's Falls who was accosted at end by over 10 different people...STAY AWAY FROM OCHO RIOS!...only go to Jamaica if on a resort the entire time...

My 2 cents!
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:44 PM
salem5050

We went to Ocho Rios last March and are going again this March...

We had a great time! Mostly we stayed in Island Village and Margarittaville, I love Jamaica!!

Mary Margaret

Just learn to say No!
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Locals in Ocho Rios

Hey, How do you get to Margarittavile? I would love to go while in Ocho Rios. We'll be on Carnivals Triumph 3/6 and Ocho Rios is one of the ports!

thank.
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:14 AM
salem5050

Margarittaville is right in Island Village, you just walk there, its about 10 minute walk....you will love it!

The boat docks and you just walk straight to the shopping village and its at the center of it, you can not miss it.

Mary Margaret
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Great! thanks for the information!

Angie
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:03 AM
Bungalow Bill

Default Re: Re: Locals in Ocho Rios

Stock up on Blue Mountain coffee if you drink coffee...best in the world.
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Parrot Mom

On our first cruise we went to Ocho Rios.. and yet after having traveling and spending a week In Peru, Colombia andother third world countries I have never and I repeat never felt so physically threatened. The word "NO Thank you" was never sufficient.. We bought our Blue Mountain Coffee which my son says was no better than Starbucks or Dominican coffee and went back to the ship... The aggressive vendors have become such a problem that the Government has had to step in and take to night court manyof them(at least they did a few years ago).. If I ever cruise to any port in Jamaica I guarantee that I will never get off the ship..Sadly, this is the onlyport I can say it.. I would get off in Caracas or Cartegena or anyplace else where I can say "no gracias" and feel my life was not in danger. Harsh words...sorry, but for over 20 years we have traveled extensively and I still can't shake my "Jamaica" experience.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:14 PM
Heimco

I was there a week ago today (2/16), and did not have any trouble with the locals. But, I was not in situations for the most part where I could be approached, and I also was taking a tour with a local guy named Lewis McBeam, and he basically stayed with me and made sure I was OK.

The only times I could have been approached by locals would have been at the restaurant we ate at (nobody bugged me) and at a local grocery store (where I bought some Pepsi) and at another local store where I bought some coffee. Both of these stores were relatively close to where the ships dock. In both stores, I was not bothered by anybody -- inside and outside the stores.

I was also at a beach maybe three-four miles from the pier, for about 80 minutes, and nobody bothered me there, either. However, I had read on message boards before my cruise that people were offered drugs by locals who followed them into the water at a beach!! Unreal.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 06:29 PM
judyO

We were just in Ocho Rios. Yes people do ask you alot to buy things, but there were also alot of nice locals. We were waiting for our guide, who never showed up and it was a local taxi driver named Joseph who stayed with us and even tried to find him. Later that day when my friend took off with out us, it was locals who told me not to worry and they were right. One local even gave me a coconut drink and told me not to worry about paying since he did not have change. I did pay once my friend came back. I would agree that there is alot of pressure from some locals but found many very nice and helpful. I would indeed return to Ocho R ios. Like others say, you have to learn to say no.
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:22 PM
First Mate

We would never go anywhere on our own in Ocho Rios. We went on an RCI excursion last year and had NO problems. The locals didn't even approach us and when we walked by the open air markets at Dunns River Falls we just breezed by them with our tour guide and had no pressure to buy anything. I think you have more problems if you attempt to go out on your own.