Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default If you want to help the residents of Roatan while you're the

I saw mention in the archives either here or at another cruise forum about people who donated things to an orphanage in Roatan during their port day there, and also to Familias Saludables (a charity trying to prevent AIDS transmission from mothers to their babies), so I emailed the directors of both programs, hoping to get a current "needs" list . If anyone else is interested, here are the emails I just got back.

From Famillias Saludables :
Yes we need donations! We run a mother to child AIDS transmission reduction program here and we DESPERATELY need the following:
powdered baby fromula..any brand, expired okay
baby Tylenol
baby bottles
cloth diapers and disposable diapers
small baby toys..rattles , teethers etc.
baby or childrens shoes
Baby or childrens clothes up to sixe 6X ..does not have to be new but must not be stained or ripped ( we all ready have lots of old stained ripped clothes!)
Baby blankets

anything you can donate would be appreciated. We can meet your ship if you give us a date and tiemeor you can drop it off in our offices between 2 and 5 ,three blocks down from the cruise dock ,behind the Fiscalia.
THANK YOU
Valerie Nelson
Familias Saludables
vlnelson113@yahoo.com

And the email from CSI (the orphanage - it's a Christian run group):

Thank you for your email and your interest in helping the children here on the island. If you haven't already, please take the time to view our website at www.csiRoatan.org for an in-depth look at our ministry and our educational child sponsorship program.

Our organization has worked with many donors such as yourself, and if you would like us to accompany you and your group the day you arrive, we would love to assist you. We have always, and will continue, to do supply distributions personally to the children, as unfortunately too often the donated items never make it to their intended mark.
We could meet you at the pier, pick you up, take you to the ministry site to see the orphanage if you so desire. As far as needs, please see the list below. Baseball equipment would be great for the kids as we begin to prepare for the first "Little League" teams on the island.
Any teacher resources for teaching younger children such as "Phonics" are needed as well. Here is an additional list I just received from my staff regarding other needs.

Children's Home supplies
Booster seat
Soup pots
13x9 cake pan, 9"cake pans
Stackable PVC shelving
Shampoo
Hair conditioner
Hand sanitizer
One-piece swim suits for girls, sizes 14, and ladies Small for teen
girls
For girls, underwear, ladies size 5
Cork Squares for bulletin boards
School Supplies for sponsorship kids and community schools
Spiral notebooks
Black pens
Black dry erase markers
Clear contact paper
Copy paper
Blue Slate paint (paint to make your own chalk board)
Story books (English and Spanish)
Plastic shoe boxes w/lids
White socks for boys and girls shoe sizes 12 - adult size 10
White t-shirts all children sizes and up to adult large
Community Outreach Needs
Clothes in good condition, mostly shorts and t-shirts for the children
Disposable diapers
New children's underwear
Children's Bibles (English and Spanish)
Teen Bibles
Liquid vitamins for infants
Toothpaste

Again, take a look at our website at www.csiRoatan.org and send me an email
with your thoughts or any questions.

Thank you again for having the heart to help these kids. Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you and let me hear from you soon.

Serving by Grace alone,

Brad Warren
Director
Child Sponsorship International
Tel- 011-504-445-1915
Email- Brad@csiRoatan.org
Website- www.csiRoatan.org

Post Edited (02-20-04 12:41)
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: If you want to help the residents of Roatan while you're

Just an update - I called a local ob office, told them what I was doing, and they offered me 8 cans of powdered infant formula (about $15 a can at the supermarket). I just picked them up Friday - and I think I'll call my local hospital too & see what they think. I suspect if I put any effort into this at all, I'll end up with more donations than I can carry! I'm SO looking forward to our stop in Roatan now!

:-)
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
hcat

That is such a nice thought--My parents alwys brought shoes & artist supplies with them to haiti when they travelled there--now you can't even visit...such a poor place
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:19 PM
First Mate

Trip, that's is a very nice thing to do. Do you know if there are any such needs in any of the So. Caribbean Islands. I would love to bring supplies if there are organizations that would take them.

Old February 24th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: If you want to help the residents of Roatan while yo

Well, I know Haiti does, but they have bigger issues at the moment. Man, I hope they find themselves some peace, that's no way to live. No one should have to endure such a nightmare. OK, that was tangential, sorry.

That's so good of you to want to help at the ports you're visiting! Feels so good to do something positive, doesn't it?
About S. Carib islands, I don't know, I could do a little searching for you if you like - which ports are you stopping at?
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
First Mate

St Thomas, St Maarten, St Lucia Antigua and Barbados. I wonder if their Consulate here in NY will have any info.

Old February 24th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

The first time I sailed into Limon, Costa RIca, I had a "guilty" feeling - being on this magical, mystical, beautiful ship. The children running toward the pier to see the ship reminded me that the luck of the draw was the only thing that decided who was on the ship and who would never be.

We've all heard the comment, "Why does the cruiseline stop there? There's nothing there but poverty" - about many of the places we've all been. It infuriates me that people seem annoyed that they have to witness such conditions and that their time and lives are so much more important than those who live there. All it does is humble me and make me thankful.

Trip, your idea could start a "movement" - at least among us CM's - and I applaud you for it. I will keep these addresses, tell my friends and contribute whenever I can. It would seem to me that any given cruise line could "sponsor" such a program, advertise it, receive great public relations for it and benefit greatly (if not financially, at least morally).

Cruising is great fun but we need to remember the small percentage of the world's population who will ever be fortunate enough to experience it. The least we can do is try to help our fellow man.

You are doing a very important thing.
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I africa we were told to bring school supplies for the village that we visited and some people bartered with the villagers using clothing and personal care items for the native crafts. The don't always have easy access to by the items they need.
On the streets in serveral nothern Europen contries, especillay Russia the kids took gum, pens and candy in exchange for the postcards.
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think the idea behind helping people in these third world countries is to help them. Yes they need the items but I dont expect to barter to get things in return. These people need our help and we should just try and help all that we can so that places like Roatan can improve.