Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Default what's the straw market in Nassau?

will be in Nassau in October - what's the straw market? Because two years ago the
shopping director told people to stay away from there (she was giving her
talk on where to shop) so we did not go. Are they pushy about selling their
stuff, do you have to bargain?

Carol

Monarch 10/01
Celebrity 10/02
Voyager 10/03
Explorer 10/04
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Stacycruiser
Default Re: what's the straw market in Nassau?

It's a wonderful stretch of street that has street vendors, one after the other. I never felt threatened or hasseled while I was there. Good bargins and a friendly no thank you will take care of any sellers. These people will not follow and bother you. They stand behind their wares and call out to you...all in a good safe fun.
Don't miss it! Enjoy.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Nikki Y

We were in Nassau in Feb. and went to the straw market. The people there are trying to make a living selling everything from handmade straw bags, t-shirts, hats, beach towels, beaded necklaces and other souveniers. They're really not that pushy, they ask what they can show you and they do try to bargain because they need the money. Every time we would ask how much something was they would tell us and then would ask how much we want to spend. A little boy even asked if he could sing us a song for $1.00. If you want some inexpensive souveniers and don't mind the people trying to bargain then you should go. We would just tell them that we were just looking and they would leave us alone. It's not as bad as I've heard about people in Jamaica.
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Passenger

No doubt about Jamaica. We had people on the beach, while we were laying with our eyes closed, come up wanting to sell Ganga (spelling?) or weed. They also try to sell everything and anything and are very pushy! I think of that when I am planning my trip to Nassau and think, do I really want to go through it, but it sounds like they aren't quite so bad in Nassau. I don't mind looking and buying, but can't stand being pushed or harassed into it!

Happy shopping!

Sovereign of the Seas
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: what's the straw market in Nassau?

Nassau is very calm compared to Jamaica. I don't care to ever go back to Jamaica. Nassau was nice and the people were nice not to pushy. Most of the crafts I saw were made somewhere else like China or other countries. Some nice things were made there a girl and her mom were selling dolls they had made very nice, and some were selling bags and other things made from straw that is how they got the name straw market I assume. I think if you stay on the main tourist areas you'll be fine.