CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Shopping in Cozumel (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/251038-shopping-cozumel.html)

Jecca February 23rd, 2004 11:42 AM

Shopping in Cozumel

Hi! I'm going on my first cruise this Saturday, 2/28. I want to go shopping in Cozumel... From the posts I've read, there are lots of taxis at the pier. So once I get one, just where do I tell them to go? Is there a specific market, town center, something I need to say to the driver? Then, when I'm ready to head back, are the taxis at the market easily available as well? Don't want to get stranded in Mexico!! hehe. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jecca

cruise4fun February 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM

Re: Shopping in Cozumel

I was dropped off at the shopping area by boat after taking the Tulum tour so I am sure someone else can tell you what to tell the driver.

The taxi ride back to the ship was about $5 and took less than 10 minutes and there are plenty of taxis available.

mrsox February 23rd, 2004 12:06 PM

Re: Re: Shopping in Cozumel

I'll be there next week on NCL Wind...our first cruise also! Soooo excited! We may rent a car or scooter and travel around on our own...looks like there is 1 major road around the island and everything is easily accessed. www.cozumelinsider has a map and good ideas. Have a blast!!! -Angie

readytogo February 23rd, 2004 12:12 PM

Depends which port your ship docks at. When we were there, the Paradise docked right at main pier and you just walk off the ship and you're on the main shopping street (it's one long straight street). other ships were docked farther away - you'd have to take a cab. I think if you tell the driver to take you to the San Miguel pier (not sure about the name, but if you ask for Carlos & Charlies, it is right at the one end of the shopping district, so you could start from there. If you're looking for jewellry, be prepared, almost every store offered me a free tequilla shooter while I was shopping. since i hate tequilla, i let my friend drink the shooters and i just bought tanzanite jewellry. great place to buy tshirts, and other souvenirs.

Parrot Mom February 23rd, 2004 12:21 PM

There is a shop called Cinco de Soles.. one of the finest shops we have seen..it's along the Malecon... THEY (the shopkeepers) are waiting for you..go one block up and there are shops. The only time we rented a jeep we went around the island, found a lovely beach where the crews from the ships went and heading back found a little shop selling blankets, etc. Just be aware that there is only one place or was to get gas.

hcat February 23rd, 2004 12:30 PM

Get info from your cruise lilne--the shop people stand outside & try to get you in--can be aggressive--But I got such beautiful turquoise at a ship rec. store (can't recall the name--sorry)--it had the right silver stamps as being good quality & I love wearing it.

Jecca February 23rd, 2004 01:07 PM

Re: Re: Shopping in Cozumel

Thanks for your help! Boy, that was speedy! I'm not sure which pier we dock at. I'm on Carnival's Celebration. I'm not an alcohol drinker, so I'll have to pass on the tequila shooters as well! Can you recommend any good restaurants I shouldn't miss while I'm there?

Jecca
Celebration 2/28

missy February 24th, 2004 10:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Shopping in Cozumel

Jecca -
The advice about Los Cinco Soles was good...if the taxi takes you there, you're at the farthest shop on the waterfront and then you can spend the day shopping along the waterfront and as you walk you're getting closer back to the ship. There is a really good restaurant in the back of Los Cinco Soles called Pancho's Backyard. And when you're ready to head back to the ship, there will be taxis everywhere - just tell the taxi driver the name of your ship.

Have a great time!