Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Antigua donations (attention Moai!)

Thought it'd be best to put this in its own thread, since it would get lost under the Roatan thread. moai had asked if there were facilities at southern Caribbean ports that might need supplies donated by cruiseship passengers. While I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other spots, I did just get this email back from HERO in Antigua. They appear to be christian-run, but not totally evangelical or anything.
http://www.heroantigua.com/safehaven.html
>>
Dear Elizabeth:

Our organization houses families for 3-6 months and helps them to get back on their feet. We also are the only Safehaven emergency shelter for victims of domestic violence. At this time, we are beginning a home for children, especially boys (as the island has no alternative for young boys who have no caregivers).

This summer, we are running several weeks of camping experiences and we always need items for sponsored children.

Our needs vary, but listed below are items that we always can use. If the potential sponsor wishes to visit HERO when he arrives, I will organize to pick him up at the cruise ship.

He will need to send a list ahead of items he is bringing so we can arrange for a duty free provision.

Needs include: New children's underwear--all sizes, for boys and girls,
Toiletries such as deodorant, shampoo, baby powder, toothpaste and
toothbrushes,
single bed sheets--fitted and flat, light colours, colourfast,
light cotton material for curtains and clothing items,
diapers,
baby formula,
children's pain reliever, children' vitamins,
pre-natal vitamins,
beach towels,
various sizes bathing suits.

Thank you for your interest, and please let me know if you need more information.

Teresa Emanuel
HERO

Post Edited (02-25-04 10:11)
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Antigua donations (attention Moai!)

Trip, thank you so much for your research. I will be printing all the information to have at hand when we cruise. This way the info wont get lost as the thread goes to the bottom.
I will be cruising with extended family (my and my DH's). I'm sure some of them would also like to contribute. I wonder if it would be better to concentrate on one island than to bring little to a few islands. What do you think?

Old February 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Re: Antigua donations (attention Moai!)

Good point. Since our ship only stops at one REALLY poor port, I havent' thought about that.
As I consider it, between having to clear your items thru customs when you disembark & the time spent getting it to its destination , I'm sure it'd be easier to take donations to one port. I'd think if I had to choose which port, I'd see which one had either more need, or which had an organization that really interested me (like disease prevention, childrens program, environmental, animal welfare, whatever) and go with that one.

What do you think? What aspects of this am I missing?
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Antigua donations (attention Moai!)

I did a google search on the islands that we are visiting and by getting a few statistics like life expectancy, literacy, infant mortality and per capita income, I was able to see that Antigua and St Lucia are the poorest. I do not care who runs the programs, a religious organization or a state run orphanage ,as long as the supplies get to the people that it is intended for. The organization you found in Antigua seems a good one; I will email them when we get closer to the cruise.
Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.