Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruise Dress ?

SInce our first cruise (Rhapsody in August) is to celebrate our 30th anniversary, we would love to dress up every night... would we be terribly out of place to
dress formally every night possible? We have requested a late seating table for 2...
Thanks for your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Dress ?

yes, you would be very overdressed if you dressed formally every night. You will have 2 formal nights on a 7-day cruise. The other nights will be resort casual and semi-formal.
Old March 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

THen again...it's your cruise...dress as you like... We were on Celebrity last Spring, and while I didn't see many tuxes on the semi formal nights, Suits were not at all an uncommon site. It's your 30 anniversay (congrat's by the way), and we live but once. I'd say if you want to dress up - by all means do!
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cruise Dress ?

We dress up for dinner on a cruise as if we're dining out in a 3- or 4-star restaurant here at home. We can't imagine doing to the dining room in casual clothing, but that's our opinion... we really don't care what others wear. Congratulations on your 30th anniverary!!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:00 AM
davidkade

"Propper dress for Dinner is a symbol of a civilized nature..." to quote Emily Post. I feel dressing for dinner is a way to enhance the Cruising expierence, and to keep the tradition and symbolism of ocean crossings alive.

davidkade
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Passenger

I love to dress formally every night, not only does it make me feel good, but i also think that when you spend so much money on nice clothes it seems a shame to not wear them at every opportunity.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Kim Streed

It's your cruise dress how you want! Don't worry about what everyone else is wearing! No one is going to say anything to you except maybe how nice you look!

Kim
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Congratulations! Hope you have a wonderful celebratory cruise! I agree, the only comments you're likely to get will be compliments.
Enjoy!
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Yeoman

I think it's nice that you want to dress for dinner every night. I don't think you'll be out of place as long as you don't have tuxes and evening gowns every night. But a nice suit and dress each nice are great!

Old March 5th, 2004, 09:06 AM
browezilla

If you wanted to dress formally every night, I think you would be overdressed for most activities, however you could eat at the premium restaurants and not feel overdressed. By the way, it also depends on what cruise line you are on. Carnival passengers dress much more relaxed than Celebrity or Holland's.
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:26 AM
KB47

We were on the Rhapsody (first cruise) in Jan. 2004. We also had a late dinner seating and many people do dress for dinner every night. There are two formal dinners where everyone is very dressed up. I would say that if you want to dress up, enjoy and do your thing.
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:30 AM
imabouttosail

Default Re: Re: Cruise Dress ?

I purchased (through ebay) some really nice sequined dresses for my trip. I never got to go to prom, and so this is my "I never went to prom" formal affair. I'm excited about dressing up as I never have had the chance to do it properly (even my wedding-it was more semi formal) So for me to have a chance to wear sequins and stuff I'll probably not wear anywhere else, I say GO FOR IT!!!!