Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:54 PM
Passenger

Default Mayan Ruins - Cozumel or Costa Maya??

Hi,
I was wondering if the Mayan ruins are better on Cozumel or Costa Maya? Also, are they worth taking the time to see? I have 2 teenagers and was wondering if this is something they may be interested in. Any advice and suggestions???
I would appreciate any help or thoughts!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Mayan Ruins - Cozumel or Costa Maya??

I have been told by those on recent cruises...we did the beach insteadm that the ruins visited when in Costa Maya are " apile of rocks" thisis second hand info so wait for more comments.
Old March 4th, 2004, 06:55 AM
zookeeper

My 17 year old son, my husband and I did both tours last November (2003). As far as teenagers liking it, it depends on your teenager! My teenager is a history buff and gave me a lecture on the Mayan culture before we even got on the cruise ship. So, of course, he loved the ruin tours. My husband and I also enjoyed them. The tour to Kohunlich (Costa Maya) is a very long bus ride; however, we all appreciated the chance to see the "real" Mexico -- not the "tourist" Mexico. Both of the ruins at Kohunlich and Tulum were in amazing shape, and, in my opinion were well worth the time. If you are a family who wants "beach time", these tours probably aren't the best tour for you; however, if you want to learn a little about Mexico and see something you can't see in the good-ole USA, these tours will not disappoint. To sum it up, it all depends on what "brand" of tourist you are -- "beach bum or history buff". Of couse the good thing about cruising it that usually you can hit the beach at another stop!
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

LB, I honestly believe the teenagers would be BORED SILLY! There is so much teens would enjoy -- all kinds of water sports & fun -- in Costa Maya. (Cozumel also) You can always wait and see "the ruins" later without children. The ruins aren't going anyplace. Your children will .......... Just an opinion!
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
First Mate

My advice is enjoy the beaches in Cozumel and do the ruins in Costa Maya. It is a long bus ride but the "real" Mexico is not to be missed.
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM
Passenger

I want to thank all of you for responding to my question. All of these reviews were helpful... I just now have to share this info with the rest of my cruise travelers!
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:09 PM
Jodie

My husband, 15 yr old son and I, visited the ruins in Tulum in July of 2003 when our cruise shipped docked in Cozumel. Yep, it was a ferry ride to the mainland, then a bus ride to the ruins, it was a ways, but it was so worth it. Our 15 yr old loved seeing the ruins and hearing the guide explain everything. There is a small beach there to go swimming and it is absolutely beautiful. Our opinion was how many 15yr olds get to see Mayan ruins ? It was a wonderful experience for all of us. Enjoy !
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I, too, will be doing Costa Maya this year and glad to see this post. I was trying to decide what to do - I love the beach, but also a history buff.....still can't make up my mind.

Jodi

Old March 21st, 2004, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've been to Cozumel and the Costa Maya 3 times on cruises & Chichen Itza by bus from Cancun.

Chichen Itza isn't worth the time it takes from the ship and it's hot & humid when you get there.

The ruins on Cozumel are a pile of rocks if you don't appriceate the significance of this fertiliy temple. They are also inland so they'll be hot & humid.

I've been to Talum twice. The dramatic setting of Talum is worth the trip.

I'm taking 13 year old twins on their first cruise in June. We're going to take a tour from the ship to (save time) and insure that the ship doesn't sail without us. We're going to Talum followed by a snorkeling stop at Xel-Ha. The twins studied the Mayans this year in school and want to see ruins. Xel-Ha is a wonderful snorkling experience.

Check the excursions your ship offers and they may have something that combines a water experience with Talum.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Mayan Ruins - Cozumel or Costa Maya??

We took our 17 yr old daughter and 22 son to the C ruins in Costa Maya, and the Alta Ha/River Wallace tour in Belize... they both enjoyed it... as did we. We used the other possts, Cozumel & Grand Cayman, to beach and shop... don't miss the ruins.. they are truly impressivce, and each is different from the other, plus with the right guide you get a true feel for the country...

Here are pix from our trip

http://community.webshots.com/user/danswack

RCL Legend of the Seas July 1999 Alaska
NCL Majesty Feb 2003 W Carr.

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Virtue

Does anyone know how long it took in Costa Maya to get to the ruins on the "long" bus ride?
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I lot of the TA sites I've seen says the "long bus ride" to the K ruins in Costa Maya is about 2 hours.

5/27/10 Carnival Dream
4/5/10 Carnival Insipiration
5/8/09 Carnival Glory
11/6/04 [Carnival] Celebration
4/17/04 Carnival Miracle
2/2001 Carnival Fantasy

11/13/95 Big Red Boat