Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:49 AM
ddp

Default Golden Southern Caribbean or Caribbean Princess Eastern

Hi Everyone,

First time cruiser who is waffling back and forth between eastern and southern Carribean. Eastern Carribean has 3 sea days and I am not certain my husband can tolerate that. Southern Carribean is on the Golden which will be an older ship. We have two teenagers if that will make a difference in itineraries or ships. The two ships are Caribbean Princess or Golden Princess.

Thanks,

ddp
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
browezilla

Default Re: Golden Southern Caribbean or Caribbean Princess Eastern

Search on my id "browezilla" for several times I've recommended Southern Carib as the best IMHO. I've never cruised on the Golden, but it isn't that old of a ship. Don't let its age concern you. I have some friends that have been on it, and they loved it. I'd go for the Golden. That many sea days would to many for me :-)
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Dave K

We're sailing the Golden out of San Juan on 5/23. Our first cruise was the Destiny also out of San Juan, but that cruise was a week after 9/11. Getting there was a nightmare, but the cruise itself was pretty nice, just hard to really enjoy due to circumstances. We prefer the ports of call vs. sea days and the Golden is a great itinerary. If you're going for the "ship" experience, choose the Eastern Carribean, but if you want to see various ports of call and people, go for the Southern Carribean. As mentioned above, the Golden is only 3 years old, not at all old by cruise ship standards. Our previous three cruises have all been Carnival, and we were kind of dissapointed at how "beat up" the ships seemed to be. Nothing major, just worn carpet and broken light bulbs. We have heard nothing but great things about Princess and are really looking forward to this cruise experience. No matter what your choice is, I'm sure you'll have a great time, pretty hard not to - no matter whom you choose to cruise with.
Good luck and happy cruising!!!!
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Admiral

if you are looking for a busy itineary with lots of diverse & different ports of call with few sea days then pick a Southern route
if you are looking for gorgeous silky white sandy beaches with turquoise water, good snorkeling, water sports and great shopping - pick an Eastern Route.
We just recently returned from an Eastern route on the Golden and loved those two relaxing sea days off the bat! great way to start your cruise and get to know the ship.
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Corvettelover

I agree with the other comments here.

We've cruised Princess twice- once on the Grand, sister ship to the Golden, and on the Dawn. (Sun Class).
Princess ships are extremely well maintained- clean, neat and shiny. Age does not make a difference, either- Dawn and Grand were launched in 98 and 97 respectively, and both are kept in "new" condition.

The Eastern Caribbean has a traditional Caribbean flavor to it- small, laid-back sleepy towns, neat architecture, gorgeous beaches.

Southern tours usually feature some of the more busy places, like Aruba

We like both, don't think you can make a bad choice