Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Sylvia Omoto

Default Maya Ruins Cozumel- ship tour or port tour

I tried to perform a search on this, but did not see any comments that answered my question. I am sorry if I am asking the same questions.

We are interested in seeing the Maya Ruins in Cozumel. The ship tours seem expensive, but many say for what you get, it's worth it since there's a ferry ride and then a bus ride and it takes a a long time to get there, and there is a guide thru the whole way. . The ship tours says the length is 6 hours.

Has anyone purchased tour at the port from the locals and hire a driver for the several hours to drive to the ruins and back.? Is this recommended? Or this is not safe? Has anyone every done this?

Are you able to explore the ruins or are they roped off?

In my last cruises to Mexico, we hired a driver and had a wonderful time. He would take us on a personal tour and then recommend a place for lunch. It was so much better than the bus tours that the cruises normally sell.

Any comments are helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:53 AM
mrsox

Default Re: Maya Ruins Cozumel- ship tour or port tour

Go on your own if you feel comfortable doing so...we rented a car and explored the whole island w/no problems at all....there's only 1 main road around the whole island and almost impossible to get lost. San Gervasio was the best place to see ruins...$6 each for admission. We also stopped at Punta Sur where there are a few small ruins and El Cedral...also small. Have fun!!! -Angie
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
MrsTffx

Default Re: Re: Maya Ruins Cozumel- ship tour or port tour

You mentioned that San Gervasio was the best place to see the Mayan ruins. Did you go to Altun Ha or Lamanai at all?
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:35 PM
mrsox

Default Re: Re: Re: Maya Ruins Cozumel- ship tour or port tour

No...I believe you need to take the ferry to get to these...they're in Costa Maya I think. I think that would be an all day trip, so you wouldn't see/do much else.