Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Default St. Thomas St John or Coki beach?

Please tell me about your experiences in St. Thomas. We are going in two weeks and can't decide on anything other than the sky lift. Anyone been?
I've read that it takes a while to get to St. John's Trunk Bay is it also expensive to get there? Thank you for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: St. Thomas St John or Coki beach?

We have been there twice. The first time we did Coki beach and the second time we went to St. John's. Coki Beach has all the amenities you would ever want or need, and it's beautiful. There's also an aquarium next door, but we didn't go into it. St. John's was beautiful, but the trip was long and it wasn't as wonderful as Coki. Just one woman's opinion. You can see pictures at this link of both beaches.

http://community.webshots.com/user/judyjbest

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

I went to coki beach just a couple of weeks ago, I would go to Saphire beach if someone asked me. I wasn't that impressed with the ammenities at coki beach. People who had gone to saphire beach said it was beautiful and had alot of ammenities. It is actually connected to a hotel so you can use all the hotel during your stay. I also heard that the snorkling was much better there than at coki beach, that you didn't have to pay for chairs and it was very clean.
From what I saw it WAS much prettier.

Nicki
Old March 14th, 2004, 08:27 AM
First Mate

We have been to both and I agree St Johns took time to get to and we were not that impressed with the snorkling there. I suggest staying on St Thomas. We will be there 5/24 and plan to go to sapphire
Anne
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Admiral

getting to St. John Island is easy! all you have to do is grab a cab from the pier ( lots waiting) to Red Hook Harbor - the water taxi travels every hour on the hour - its about a 20/30 minute ride to St. John Island - you dock at Cruz Bay and then pick up a cab to any of the many beaches - beautiful island - Trunk Bay is the most popular - well kept- with facilites and good snorkeling.
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St. Thomas St John or Coki beach?

Do you mind me asking how much two cabs and a boat cost to get there? There are five of us traveling and wonder if it would be a lot cheaper to rent a car and stay on St Thomas. Thank you for the info!
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Joe2nd cruise

We just came back. We booked a tour with Godfrey Tours (email him). He was great! He pick us up at 10 AM and took us to their shopping area in town. At noon he came back and took us on a GREAT tour around St. Tom's. Everyone knew of him. His ttruck looked new (many tour guides have a custom truck with padded bench seats and a colorful top. He narrated the tour with many interesting stops for 2.5 hours. He then offered to take us to a beach, more shopping, or back to the boat. With went to coki. GREAT beach. 2 hours later he returned and took us back to the ship.

All for $20 bucks a person, and did not take it until we returned.
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:41 PM
browezilla

On a different note, rather than the sky lift, ask a cabbie to take you to Drake's Seat. I've been to Drake's Seat (and farther up to Mt Top) several times and it is beautiful. I've never done the sky lift, but from others I know that have, they prefer Drake's Seat and it is less expensive.

I think St John has some beautiful sights and snorkeling, but it does take a while to get there and back (allow 2hrs or more in total), but the trip is scenic also. The beaches on St. Thomas are also beautiful. All in all, I prefer the snorkeling on St John, but the snorkeling at Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor are close seconds. It really comes down to whether you want to spend that much time in transit to get to/from the beach.
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Admiral

We too just returned from a port of call at St. Thomas. This time we took the children to Coki Point for its snorkeling reputation. The fish were huge and kid friendly. Dive masters with scuba groups gave our children cookie dog bones to feed the fish. The beach is not as wide or long as pictures seem to portray. Don't go to the Left as you may find more local color than you bargained for. We did not rent chairs but they are available as is snorkeling equipment. Taxi fare was $7 per person including the children each way. Our driver returned for us at a set time. Taxi to Sapphire Beach was $8 pp each way. We rented lounges for $5 each. You can purchase beverages and food at their restaurant if you like. I found the tides and surf to be very heavy there during our visit. The bay area may be calmer and good for snorkeling but there were only a few folks attempting that. The view at either beach was very nice. Maegan's Bay is the most beautiful beach. Taxi fare again is pp and there is a $3pp entry fee. Taxi fare to Red Hook was $8 per person, ferry $3 each way or $7 if you returned to Charlotte Amalie. Keep in mind, the ferry departs on a fixed schedule once an hour. If you miss it as we did due to our taxi driver not wanting to leave without a full van, you will have to wait out in the hot sun for the next ferry. Once at St. John, we took a Jitney tour (it was cloudy and misting) for $30 per couple. Hope this helps your group. I would never rent a car on these islands. Driving is on the opposite side of the road if you are from the US or Canada. Roads are very heavily traveled and signs are often missing. Even our taxi driver last week had to be told a "short-cut" to avoid a traffic jam and get us to the ship so she could make her flight on time.

Bon Voyage