Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Passenger

Default Kmart or similar store?

Does anyone know if there is a Kmart (or some other store like that) located in San Juan or near the dock in St Thomas? I heard there is one in St Thomas but I am trying to find out where. I am trying to decide if I should wait for my first port for my soda and water stock or purchase it before we leave San Juan.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61
Default Re: Kmart or similar store?

Hi,
We purchased our soda (2-12 packs) before we left San Juan. We spent the night in San Juan before we left and bought the items we needed the morning we left. We got a taxi, from the hotel and he took us to a food store(not grocery there) and bought them, along with 2 bottles of bourbon.
I didn't see any kmarts near the port in St. Thomas, sorry.
Hope this helps.

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Admiral

yes there is a KMart on St.Thomas - its not near the port its closer to downtown you have to take a cab to get there. I am almost positive that there is a grocery -convenience type store just outside of Havensight Mall.
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Admiral

There is a Kmart in the area just past downtown Charlotte Amoile . Any cab can take you. There are several food/convenience stores right accross from the pier in and behind Havensight Mall (which is right beside the pier). Anything you might save in Kmart would probably be offset by the cab fare and the wasted time.
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Dave Rogers

Yes there is a K-Mart in St. Thomas. My batteries died in my camera and the gift shop wanted a king's ranson for new batteries. While a the top of the cable car ride to the top of mountain (6-7 blocks from the boat) I could see the K-Mart sign. Right down the road and much closer than downtown. I just walked to the K-Mart. It is less than a mile from the docks. If you are not up for the walk you can get a cab. Every driver knows where it is. I paid prices that are similar to home. There is also a market on the back side of the Havensight Mall right at the docks for drinks and snacks but prices are higher.

In San Juan there is a Walgreens, Wendy's, MacDonalds and more in the Plaza in the middle of old town San Juan. Only about 8 blocks from the docks, an easy walk.
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Admiral

We've walked to the K-Mart from the ship. It's a nice walk on a good day. They also have the best prices in the Caribbean for duty-free liquor if you're looking for that sort of thing.

Ask at the purser's desk for directions if you want to walk. The crew members all know where it is because it's where they buy some of their day-to-day necessities.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM
trish1c

If all you are looking for is soda, there's a grocery store w/i a short walk from the pier in St. Thomas.

In OSJ there is a Walgreens & another pharmacy in the square (take the trolley).

I waited for the 1st port rather than drag heavy soda across the country. There was also some kind of liquor store at the Pan American pier in OSJ but i don't know if they sold soda. They'd probably make a fortune if they did.
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Here....Again

In St. Thomas: Walk out of the port area at Havensight, cross the street, and turn left on the other side. Walk down the street (the entrance to the tramway will be off the sidewalk you're on) and keep going about 4-5 blocks. You'll see the KMart. right ahead and off to your right.