Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:16 AM
TAZ

Default Roatan

One of the ports we will be visiting on our cruise in July in Roatan in Honduras...any recommendations on shore excursions? What should we do?
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Annmarie

Default Re: Roatan

Check out the shore excursion package at Santee Wellness Center to see if it is something you might be interested in. We're going to give it a try in April - I'll let you know what we think when we return.
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Go to Tabyana Beach. It's the greatest snorkeling I've ever done, and I've done a lot plus I'm a SCUBA diver. It's incredible! The beach is nice also. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Annmarie

I was checking out some other message boards and there seem to be alot of positives about the Jungle Canopy tour (swinging from platform to platform on a cable with a harness)
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to KJtravel

I definately agree with Sherri1. Tabayana beach is the best place I have ever snorkeled. They have a reef right off the white sand beach and the water is some of the clearest I have seen.

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Admiral

If you enjoy a nice beach, Tabayana certainly qualifies. The drive over the island has some gorgeous scenery to enjoy. View of the water through the lush hilltops.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:53 AM
TAZ

Default Re: Roatan - Another question!

Thanks all for your help! I was reading about the Canopy tour too! I don't know if everyone in out group would be brave enough to try it!

How far is Tabayano from the cruise ships? Do I rent cabs for the day?? There are 10 of us.... Just wondering! Thanks...you guys are the best!
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:41 PM
gopher

Default Re: Re: Roatan - Another question!

We just returned from Roatan!!!! What a beautiful island!!!! We went to Tabayana beach and we loved it. We want to return there soon. The people are so nice and not pushy. We took the cruiseship tour to tabayana so we were on a bus. It was about $35 each. Make sure if you go you use suntan lotion many got very bad sunburns. A tree canopy ride is at tabayana as well as 1 and 2 man kayaks for a fee. We did the kayaks and paid $15 per hour and hour was long enough it was fun!! Volleyball was played while we were there. There is a small place with a little shopping prices seemed very good and many items were made on the island. There is shade on the beach edge and inland there are many trees. We liked Roatan soooo much better than Belize, Belize was nice but Roatan was better in our opinion. There were myself, husband and two teenage boys. Our oldest boy said he had more fun here than he has ever had. He took a baggie with some rice Crispies in and wet it then poked a hole in the baggie and fed the fish, they swarmed around him he said it was very cool.
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Roatan

The snorkeling is excellent at the Sante' Wellness Center for the following reasons:
few snorkel there, so the reef is in excellent shape, the reef is just off shore, is a wall, and very impressive. There are two ways to do it at the Wellness Center/Day Spa: you can go offshore and swim to the reef, or they will arrange to take you out in a boat, right to the reef, and let you snorkel a few locations. Several have done it both ways with good results.
Contact us for more information.
Have a pleasant trip.
Angela
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:08 PM
First Mate

I DON"T recommend the west end island tour with Carnival. It's a boring stop at a botanical garden (sorry, but all plants look the same to me) and a butterfly farm (again, seeing 2 or seeing 200 butterflies makes no differnce to me). Friends of ours hired a taxi driver (from right at the pier) to show then around Roatan for the day (he took them to a beach, restaurant, saw the sights, did a bit of shopping). They LOVED Roatan and we didn't think it was great because of the dumb tour we chose.
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Mrsox

Or consider going out on your own away from the masses some.

It's easy to get a cab to West Bay Beach...about a 30 min scenic drive. You can rent chairs etc from a # of the beach clubs (Fosters etc) or just set up on your own stuff. This is the same beach that the Tabyana excursion is on. We had lunch at Bite on the Beach...yummy lobster, conch chowder etc...reasonable, great service and a beautiful spot overlooking the water. Another option is to stop first at Half Moon Bay, snorkling there is better than West Bay Beach, but the beach is better at WBB. You can then stroll thru West End Village, do some shopping and then take the water taxi (2-3 bucks per person...a 2-3 mile ride) at the end of town to WBB for lunch and beach time. Then, grab a cab back to Coxen Hole when you're ready to return to the ship. This is what we did and it was a near perfect day...felt like we had a real Roatan experience and got to see a lot of the island. It's an amazing place!!!

We brought our own gear and I'm glad we did...made it easier than trying to rent stuff at each port we snorkeled in. The snorkeling at 1/2 Moon Bay was the best of our trip. I believe it was about $20 for a cab ride there (for 2). Our driver dropped us off at a little place right on the water that you can use for free...lounge chairs, a bar, small restaurant, outdoor fresh water shower etc. We then walked toward West End Village (5 min walk...you can see it from 1/2 Moon), shopped and grabbed the water taxi to West Bay Beach for lunch and lounging. Lunch was about $30 w/4 coronas and 2 lobster sandwiches, including tip. There are vendors set up along the beach that your wife could do more shopping from, as well as carts that go by selling drinks and ice creams, kids also stopping to sell shells, jewelry etc. Cab back to Coxen Hole was another $20 or $30...about a 1/2 hr ride.

Also check out www.travel-to-honduras.com & www.roatanisland.net

The first web address I gave you is especially good for inspirational photos! : )

-Angie