Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:39 AM
Suzanne74

Default San Juan from 4pm to midnight??

I am debating one cruise that has San Juan but only from 4pm to midnight. Anything to do at night - any good sunset cruises etc.. I heard San Juan is more lively at night but is it safe?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61
Default Re: San Juan from 4pm to midnight??

We were in San Juan in Feb. We found it to be a lovely city. Safe and clean. We walked old San Juan at night 7pm, alot of the shops are closed, oh well, but the fort is open and the park had vendors set up. We didn't take a tour off the ship because we stayed in San Juan before and after the cruise. I would get off the ship and explore.

Have fun!

Nicki

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old March 31st, 2004, 11:06 PM
MHC Girl

My friends and I were "stuck" in San Juan after our cruise since our flight didn't leave till 11pm that night and we had the BEST time- I am now dying to go back just to spend time in Puerto Rico!! We wandered around old San Juan starting from about 4:30 (all the historical buildings are open till 6pm, even on Sunday) and hit up the San Cristobal Fort (a UNESCO world heritage site, as is the other fort in old san juan- either one are not to be missed!) then got advice from the girl in the gift shop for a great little place for dinner. since it was the weekend there is basically a little craft fair set up along the waterfront in the evening with live professional salsa and marengue dancers, and we spent hours trying on beautiful jewelry made from "Sea glass" at one of the stalls, and my friend found the best Cappuchino she has ever had (and she is a coffee snob!).
old San Juan is amazingly beautiful with narrow streets cobbled in blue stone brought over as ballast on the treasure galleons from spain, and narrow houses painted in carribbean pastels. It was also much cleaner than many cities in the US and we felt very safe with plenty of people moving around in a very relaxed atmosphere.
I wouldn't bother with a sunset cruise for that day- enjoy the sights of Old San Juan, and you won't be disapointed!
have fun!
Old April 1st, 2004, 07:06 AM
Admiral

as the others have said take some time to explore Old San Juan - go out to either fort and explore around. El Morro faces the entrance to the harbor - sit there and watch the sunset.