Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Familiar Face

Default Bermuda or Caribbean from NYC?

We're wanting to take a cruise out of NYC in September but can't decide which is a better itinerary: Bermuda or Eastern Caribbean. Anyone been to both?
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Bermuda or Caribbean from NYC?

Presonally i would pick Bermuda - Bermuda is a beautiful, clean, pristine very laid back island. Plenty to see and do, just not a lot of "goings on". Note: September is the height of hurricane season in the Atlantic - you might run into some rough seas if there is a storm "cooking" Bermuda was devistated last year by a hurricane. That would be my only concern sailing from NYC to Bermuda.
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Parrot Mom

After 9 cruises to Bermuda we decided to go from NCL on the Sea...well,that was the week of the hurricane and we ended up going to Bermuda North.. Tht was the first year that we had a problem, but Bermuda North was wonderful...our second time..This year we are going the middle of June.. The NCL Dawn was able to outrun the storm and went to the Caribbean.. Bermuda is gorgeous...go for it!!
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM
JH

I have done both, and although I really enjoyed the NCL Dawn Flordia/Bahamas cruise (we went in the end of Feb.) I love Bermuda and love the fact that you stay there for 3 nights so you really get to see and enjoy all of the island. And Bermuda is gorgeous, very clean and safe. But be careful of the weather in Sept. We thought the weather might be bad leaving out of NY if Feb., but the weather was beautiful the entire time, very smooth sailing except for a few hours one day, when it was a little bit rocky. We went to Bermuda twice, once on Celebrity Zenith and once on Royal Carribean Nordic Empress. Food was better on Zenith but they have no balcony rooms, which we had on the Nordic Empress. Hope this helps!!!
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruizer2004

Go to Bermuda. We loved it there. If you must leave from NYC, then do Bermuda. If you fly to Miami or Tampa or Galveston, then you can go to the Caribbean. Two weeks before our cruise to Bermuda last fall, the group scheduled was supposed to go to Bermuda and wound up in Canada instead due to a hurricane. We hit a tropical storm our first night out and while others were sick, we did ok. If you do go to Bermuda and if you chose Celebrity Zenith and you are coming from another city, Celebrity will add on a bus trip to your cruise for very little and you get dropped off right at the port. Ask them about it.
--Joanne
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Bermuda or Caribbean from NYC?

When in the fall was the cruise that was changed to Canada? We're from Vancouver and have been all over this country so I don't want to end up back in Canada! We want to leave from NYC so we can see the city before the cruise. Would early September be better than later?
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:08 PM
dan p

We have sailed to Bermuda five times.If you go there you do not have to take any excursions.You can buy a three day bus/ferry pass and see everything off any of the bus routes.With the pass you can get on and off all you want and it only cost $36 .You can go to the beaches ,the Aquarium,out to St georges.If you dock in Hamilton that is the center of the island .
I think you will enjoy Bermuda.
Old April 10th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bermuda definately.

Keep in mind it's the height of hurricane season in the Caribbean in September. Poor North Carolina has gotten hit the last few years and your ship would be headed to the Caribbean on that track, so you could be diverted to New England.

We did Bermuda in May out of New York and it was wonderful, great weather, no rain, no hurricanes.

I do the Caribbean in May and December, also no hurricanes and great weather. I'm leary about cruising anywhere in September, but that's just me.

If you can hold out for last-minute booking, just check if there's anything heading towards Bermuda.