Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Familiar Face

Default Hurricane season

Does anyone have any experience with hurricanes in September? We want to sail from NYC to Bermuda or the eastern Caribbean but now I'm reading it might be hurricane season.
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hurricane season

Official hurricane season is June 1st through November 30th. The season peaks from around the 2nd week of Sept through the middle of October. It's anyones guess as to whether or not you would be affected by one. Chances are you would not be.
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:38 PM
ThomP

Old April 6th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Personally its a risk that i would not take. Bermuda has nothing to protect it from a hurricane. You will be sailing the open Atlantic to get to Bermuda and you could encounter some weather.
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:20 AM
10X

When we booked our first cruise (1989) we did not know anything about hurricane season. We went in October. On the last day of the cruise we were leaving Cozumel and hurricane was going strong in the Gulf of Mexico. Wind and waves for us were terrible, even though the actual hurricane was hundreds of miles away. You could barely walk around the ship. Barf bags were everywhere and being used heavily. My wife and I put on scopolomine patches and were not affected. The cruise director even got sick, even though she had been at sea for 14 years.

We continue to take scopolomine patches with us on every cruise (9 so far) but have never used a single patch since the first cruise.

Chances are you will not be affected, but hang on if you are. We have not cruised in hurricane season since, and I doubt that we ever will.
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Yeoman

We live with the threat of hurricanes every year since we live on the Gulf Coast. September is in the peak month window. However, hurricanes are very unpredictable. You never know until the last few hours where or when it will hit or how strong it will be. Last year was supposed to be an especially active season, but several that were very strong downgraded to mere tropical storms before reaching land. Predictions are just guesses and the experts are constantly revising their guess. We have learned to go ahead and plan whatever we want to do without worring about the possibility of a hurricane. Chances are good that it won't happen.

Carnival Inspiration
Old April 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

After going through Hurricane Andrew in Miami, I do not cruise in hurricane season.

May and December are my months.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I live on the Gulf Coast, we also deal with the threat of hurricanes every year too. We cruised last year in September and were fine. We cruised right at the end of a storm and RCCI re-routed us around Cuba (actually saw the island). The ports did not change. We will cruise again this September. Just remember the cruise lines can change their routes if there is a chance of major bad weather and they don't want you or their ship endangered.

11/10/05
Explorer of the Seas 9/19/2004
Rhapsody 9/2003
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Parrot Mom

We have been cruising to Bermuda half off our ten times the second week in September and only last year were we diverted to Bermuda North...lol Also, did it the last week in May and we had to leave a day earlier because of an upcoming storm. It's a crap shoot.lol I like the 2nd week in Sept. because there aren't as many kids on the ships, running up and down the halls, pushing the buttons for the elevators. No, I'm not a grouch but don't like undiscipined kids.
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Admiral

As everyone here has said hurricane season is June til end of November....there have been ones before these times and after these times....so it is very unpredictable. September is high season on hurricanes....having lived in northeast Florida for many years you see more some years then others. Also it can look like one is coming straight at you and it changes direction (IE Floyd here looked like it was going straight for us and caused major panic but it turned up)

It will be just a chance you take...like playing the lottery. Noone knows and most likely if you are out on a ship during a hurricane they will keep you out there as docking is bad for the ship.....they will change your itinerary or take you around the hurricane. Just be prepared for a change in ports, etc....during that time of year. And get travel insurance just in case!

Old April 26th, 2004, 10:22 AM
SienaBlaze

What about late June. Anyone had rough seas during this time

Siena Blaze

Norweigen Sea
RCL Monarch of the Seas
Inspiration 6'04
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Yeoman

My husband and I were on the Enchantment 3rd week in September during Isadore. We were supposed to go Western Carb. but we just went Eastern to Western. However, we did miss Grand Cayman and Costa Maya ports. Prices do tend to be cheaper during this time. I would be willing to take my chances again.
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Cocoa

We were on the Imagination during Hurricane Isadore in Sept 2002. We woke up and turned on the Today show to catch the news and they were having a special from Key West and you could see the Whale Tale Funnel in the shot.

We were no more than 12 hours ahead of the storm, and while it was windy and stormy on deck it wasn't half bad down below.

On the other hand we were on the Carnival Victory in November 2001 heading from Miami to the Virgin Islands and we encountered 20ft waves and 35knot winds and the ship was tossing about like my daughters tub toys. There were no hurricanes in site but the weather was still rough.

It is always a crap shoot in the fall. That's often why the prices are a little lower (that and the kids are back in school). Either way, the captain and officers are not going to sail the ship into a mouth of a hurricane or tropical storm. They will substitute ports or just troll around at sea if necessary in order to avoid the worst of a storm.

I wouldn't let it worry your or disrupt you travel plans.
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM
shark boy

June and July you are probably fine, I would avoid August, September and October.

If you are within 750 miles of a hurricane the seas will be very rough. Which means if you are in the Caribbean when a hurricane is, no matter if it is hundreds of miles away the seas will be terrible.
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Captain

If you are going to the Eastern Caib and one is there....will the Line take you to the Western Carib or do they just cancel your cruise. Will they change the trip that dramatically????

Sensation