Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:19 AM
First Mate

Default Costa Maya True or False?

Just curious but have read on another board that Costa Maya was set up just to accomodate the tourists - true or false - anyone know? Thanks in advance & happy cruisin'!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to eclipsegtf10mch Send a message via MSN to eclipsegtf10mch
Default Re: Costa Maya True or False?

in a sense, true. but when i went there in july 2003, there wasn't much of anything in terms of shopping and points of interest, in comparison to cozumel or somewhere big like that.

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

"Costa Maya" ,in cooperation with the Mexican government, was a cruiseline built port. It gives the ships another Mexican stop close to Cozumel from which the cruiselines can run excursions to see Mayan ruins. So the answer would be TRUE. Costa Maya was set up just to accomodate cruise passengers. Just to the south of the port facilities is a small fishing village, Mahahual, that is being "discovered" thanks in large part to the new cruise port.

Want to see some photos of both places?
http://www.brobertson.org/costamayagallery/
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Admiral

True, True, True

Many coastal Mexican resorts were established to attract tourists. It's just dollars and cents and the Mexican Government is smart to cash in for its people.
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:34 AM
First Mate

Interesting - luv these boards - we have access to all this info and we can all learn so much to make our lives easier not to mention saving time and money. Thanks for taking your valuable time to reply.. Happy cruisin' all!!
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Zookeeper

If you are into "history" you can go on a great Mayan ruins tour from Costa Maya. We did it last Thanksgiving and yes, it was a long bus ride but worth it. On the way to the ruins we say the "real" Mexico.
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Virtue

How long of a bus ride are the ruins in Costa Maya?
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

TRUE! Keep in mind that just because it was built for tourist doesn't make it a bad thing. Good Grief, no different that Marriott or any other building a resort. If you enjoy the beach and water sports, you'll LOVE Costa Maya! Have Fun!
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:00 AM
First Mate

The bus ride to the ruins was a couple of hours, but well worth it. You get to see the real Mexico...villages, jungle...not just the touristy stuff. It was eye opening to say the least. Now I see why so many Mexicans come to the US for work. The living conditions you will see on your way are unbelieveable compared to the ritzy tourist places.
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:27 PM
hcat

The little village is very well designed. Festive looking & upbeat ambiance.-shops, food, entertainment, a beach & large pool. We wook a nice snorkeling tour that gave us a sense of the area--mostly jungle-- & returned to enjoy the little village. It was clean & the vendors pleasant. It is very hot--we had a tram from the ship to the village & were thankful as the sun is really strong.
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Admiral

I agree with Vickie. Though the bus ride to the ruins may be a little long, it gives you a good feel for Mexico away from the likes of Cozumel or Cancun. I thought the countryside was beautiful.
I have been to Costa Maya a couple of times and would not hesitate to go back at all.
But I realize there are some folks who feel that every port should be like St. Thomas ----bursting at the seams with shops.
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Costa Maya True or False?

I NEVER need to return on a cruise to St. Thomas. I can shop at K-Mart at home. Mahahual was a great day. I'd way perfer to return there than go to St. Thomas or St. Maarten either.
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Bluefish, I understand completely. I have been to St. Thomas so many times that to me the best way to see it is to watch it fade away in the distance from the deck of the ship.

My wife runs a jewelry store so I have no need to go from one jewelers to another for the day.
I like something less developed and the chance to see and do things I can't at home.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:53 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to golabonte

I'm heading to Costa Maya in two weeks. Any suggestions for an excursion? We were interested in snorkling or something like that. Thanks!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
JayPS

definitely check out [url=http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com[/url] There is a boat snorkeling trip for $25 and the boat looks really nice. We're booking it!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
Passenger

How is the snorkeling off the beach in Mahahual?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:13 PM
hcat

The snorkeling excursion on Royal was great. A nice bus through part of the countryside & then a beautiful beach & very helpful guides...water was a bit rough. Liked the port--just enogh after the snorkel trip...nice pottery (same price all stores) There was lots of shade, entertainmnet & a large pool. Although all articificial it did not feel plastic!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did the "C" ruins.. they were quite interesting, and you got a 1 hr ride through the countryside to get there..

Pix here..

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...13213259jCTYOS