Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:36 PM
mikeap

Default Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

Hello Everyone,

Will be booking an excursion in Roatan, and am having trouble deciding which one to take. I want to do a little snorkeling and my wife wants to chill on the beach, maybe do a little shopping. Tabyana and Salt-n-Peppers seem to be the destinations of choice for most people.
Could anyone please give me their opinion of which one they like best and why? i am intersted in quality of meals, ease of snorkeling, possible shopping and price.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

mikeap,

Because your wife has no interest in snorkeling, you would probably enjoy going to Tabyana more than Salt 'n Pepper. EVERYTHING was great at Salt 'n Pepper EXCEPT the beach area which had lots of DEEP/THICK seaweed (guess this can vary). Our tablemates who went to Tabyana, thought the beach was lovely and one of the men who liked to snorkel seemed happy as well. If we had not gone out in a snorkel boat, we would not have enjoyed staying at that beach area around Salt 'n Pepper. The snorkel boat trip was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Had Fun!
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

Tabyana for sure. Great beach, great snorkeling, beautiful scenery, it was a perfect day. And a beautiful ride to get there! You get to see a lot of the countryside and beautiful views of the water.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Mrsox

Default Re: Re: Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

Or consider going out on your own away from the masses some.

It's easy to get a cab to West Bay Beach...about a 30 min scenic drive. You can rent chairs etc from a # of the beach clubs (Fosters etc) or just set up on your own stuff. This is the same beach that the Tabyana excursion is on. We had lunch at Bite on the Beach...yummy lobster, conch chowder etc...reasonable, great service and a beautiful spot overlooking the water. Another option is to stop first at Half Moon Bay, snorkling there is better than West Bay Beach, but the beach is better at WBB. You can then stroll thru West End Village, do some shopping and then take the water taxi (2-3 bucks per person...a 2-3 mile ride) at the end of town to WBB for lunch and beach time. Then, grab a cab back to Coxen Hole when you're ready to return to the ship. This is what we did and it was a near perfect day...felt like we had a real Roatan experience and got to see a lot of the island. It's an amazing place!!! -Angie
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM
mikeap

Default Re: Re: Re: Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

Angie...You got my attention. what did you do about snorkel gear??

Mike
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Mrsox

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

Mike,
We brought our own gear and I'm glad we did...made it easier than trying to rent stuff at each port we snorkeled in. We got ours at Walmart...good proce and good quality. The snorkeling at 1/2 Moon Bay was the best of our trip. I believe it was about $20 for a cab ride there (for 2). Our driver dropped us off at a little place right on the water that you can use for free...lounge chairs, a bar, small restaurant, outdoor fresh water shower etc. We then walked toward West End Village (5 min walk...you can see it from 1/2 Moon), shopped and grabbed the water taxi to West Bay Beach for lunch and lounging. Lunch was about $30 w/4 coronas and 2 lobster sandwiches, including tip. There are vendors set up along the beach that your wife could do more shopping from, as well as carts that go by selling drinks and ice creams, kids also stopping to sell shells, jewelry etc. Cab back to Coxen Hole was another $20 or $30...about a 1/2 hr ride. Let me know if you have more ?'s. Also check out www.travel-to-honduras.com

-Angie
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:58 PM
mikeap

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

Thanks for the info Angie!

Mike
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Mrsox

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roatan...Tabyana or Salt-n-Peppers

Mike,

Also check out www.roatanisland.net

The first web address I gave you is especially good for inspirational photos! : )

-Angie