Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Passenger

Default Coki Beach, St. Thomas - sharks?

Is there any truth that there are sharks to watch out for while snorkeling at Coki Beach? Just read it and never heard it before!
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Denise H

Default Re: Coki Beach, St. Thomas - sharks?

my husband snorkel at coki beachand did not see a shark the only problem i
had at coki beach was trying to get him out of the water
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Admiral

To say that there are no sharks in the waters of the Virgin Islands would be a lie. That said, I got into this discussion on a BVI chat board once and later checked with a pro diver. To his knowledge there has not been a shark attack in the Virgin Islands (US or BVI) in the 28 years that he has been diving (virtually every day) In the Virgin Islands.
Coki is a family beach , there are hundreds of snorkellers and dozens of divers swimming off that beach every day. Never heard of sharks sited off that beach.
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:17 PM
WT

Went snorkel at Coki beach. It was great. Didn't see sharks there. Others were right, it was a family beach with people. You won't be alone. We also took an Atlantis Submarine dive at St. Thomas and we did see nurse sharks. But they were far from shore and deep in the water. I wasn't worry about it on Coki beach.
Old April 21st, 2004, 01:51 PM
James & Kelly

Went to Coki Beach in 2003- was the only white people there for about 3 hours - only about 10 locals were there. We swimmed w/ the local Barracuda- Lady said he has been there for 10 years. Never hurt anyone. Were there in Jan 2004- the big fish must have been hiding- never saw him this trip. This is our favorite spot in St. Thomas. Our kids snorkel until they can't stand up anymore!!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Yeoman

Im not a shark expert, but Ive been around them enough to know that there are sharks in just about every area in the world. Just because you dont see them doesnt mean that theyre not there. Most of the time, the sharks are afraid of us and stay away. Dont provoke them if you do see them. I just love to hear the stories about shark attacks, and then when you look into the fine details, you see that the person did something to the shark (pull its tail, poke it in the eye, pull a Richard Hatch on Survivor). Just use your head whenever you swim in the ocean: leave the spear gun at home, if you cut yourself get out of the water, avoid swimming at dawn and dusk (this is when the sharks tend to come closer to shore to feed and it the dim light mistake a leg for a fish), and if you do see one, keep an eye on it. If it looks like its becoming agitated (starts to circle, arch its back) slowly and quietly get out of the water. Sharks arent as bad as people make them out to be. Most times they attack are mistaken identity. Now if youre talking about Tiger Sharks, then Id be a lot more worried! Theyll eat just about anything. Thats usually the shark that you hear about attacking in Hawaii (theyre found in most warm waters). Give me a Great White over him any day!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to glamour1030

Recently was at Coki Beach on my last cruise. No sharks whatsoever. It is a family beach and it is also gorgeous. Highly recommended.
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:58 AM
shark boy

Having surfed in Florida for all my life, I can tell you that sharks usually attack because of mistaken identity. Luckily in St. Thomas the water is so clear and calm that you can see any sharks that are there, and more importantly they can see you.
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good answer Alison. Of course there's sharks, it's the ocean. But will you see them? Probably not. Will they attack you? The chances are astranomical. I've been a SCUBA diver for a long time and an avid snorkeler. Live in Florida and see sharks quite often. They just turn and go the other way. Of course I don't chase them and sometimes it makes me a little nervous, but it's their home. Ya just got to respect that. I didn't see any in St Thomas, but I would imagine they were "out there". Go have fun and don't worry about it.