Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Brenda6

Default Saint Thomas beaches & thongs

Are there any beaches in Saint Thomas where thongs are fairly common?
I will be there in 3 weeks & I prefer to wear a thong swimsuit bottom.
thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Saint Thomas beaches & thongs

You might want to check out the www.vinow.com message boards - there are many locals that frequent that board and can probably give you a good answer. In my trips to the USVI (cruises and land vacations), I have yet to see a thong. I would suggest bringing both types of bottoms with you to the beach just in case.
Old April 19th, 2004, 07:48 AM
JCL

Mandy. I was just there in March, and went to the Marriotts Resort beach. It's not to far from the cruise ships. There were several topless sun bathers here, so I would assume thongs would be OK.
Caught me off guard though. St Martin yes. St. Thomas....................
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Admiral

you see very few women wearing thongs in St. Thomas, as a matter of fact, last time we were there (2/14/04) didnt' see a single lady wearing a thong, same goes for our cruise, bikinis yes, thongs didnt' see any.
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
hcat

Did not see any thongs at Trunk Bay-- just lots of snorkels , flippers & families!
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:34 PM
First Mate

JCL - Wow - topless on St Thomas? I thought topless was illegal in the USVI. I have not been to that specific Marriott beach though. The only online reference I have read about nudity in the USVI is here: http://www.vinow.com/stjohn/beaches_stj/beach_stj2.php
That would be surprising to see! I'm glad there weren't any topless women at the beach we married on! (Might not have been a good backdrop for the wedding pics...)

Brenda - I used the search feature on the other message board, and this question has been posted there previously. According to the locals who posted on that board, thongs are okay, but the locals are rather conservative. We've only been to Magens and Sapphire on St Thomas, but visited most of the beaches on St John (where we stay). Some islands in the Caribbean are less conservative, some are more. I tend to follow local customs when in doubt since I'm a guest.

Maybe St John is more conservative? I'll have to tell hubby to keep his eyes open more this next trip! : ) But I do have to agree- there have always been lots of families when we have visited. Either way - have lots of fun!!
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Madcow

I saw two girls in their 20's sunbathing without any bottoms on at Trunk Bay. THey were laying on their stomachs