Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Yeoman

Default Semi-submersible

I have seen comments that the semi-submersible excursions are not very pleasant. Supposedly, the boat smells strongly of pine cleaner over vomit and quite a few passengers get sea sick every time. Is this always true? Are some areas worse than others (e.g. Eastern Carib. vs. Western Carib.)? Do we want to consider a semi-submersible to see the coral?

Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Semi-submersible

We did a semi-sub. in Aruba a few years back and had no problems. We took a boat out to where the semi-sub. was moored, climbed aboard and went down some steps to a large open area with glass all around and benches running the length in the center. Just like a picture window under water. It was really pretty neat. Any problems may be related more to claustrophobia.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Semi-submersible

That is reassuring. There was no smell? We would really like to do this if we can do it without getting sick from either the motion or the smell. (Am I the only one who vomits if I smell vomit? Motherhood had its moments!)
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:20 PM
EMC

Default Re: Re: Re: Semi-submersible

We went on a semi-submersible in Grand Cayman in April. We really enjoyed it. No problem at all with feeling motion, and no smell. Just a nice time! Enjoy!
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:23 AM
theseasforme

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Semi-submersible

Did you feel claustrophobic? We are booked for the Sea & See tour in Aruba in June which includes a semi-submersible. We have never tried this, so hopefully it will be enjoyable.
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Semi-submersible

I did this Sea and See Island tour in Aruba last year, and the Seaworld Explorer semi-submersible was the best part of the excursion for me. It did not smell at all, and I did not have any problems with feeling motion. I don't think you'll be in the ship that long to feel so much motion anyway. You take the stairs and you're about 5 feet underwater, but the ship does not submerge. You can see the surface at all times. The tour shows you Antilla, a ship that was destroyed in WWW 2, and you can see fish and coral formations throughout the ship. It was eally amazing. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

happy cruising
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:35 AM
theseasforme

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Semi-submersible

Thank you- that sounds great!