Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Cozumel with kids

Going May 24th on Enchantment of the Seas. Where does it dock? How far to Chankanaub? Any other good parks/beaches to snorkel close by? How about a snorkel trip from the dock through the cruise lines excursions? Not worried about saving a couple bucks more about ease and convienience.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Cozumel with kids

Dave

We just got back from Cozumel and went to Chankanaab park. I highly recommend it. My kids loved it. I took about 10-15 min to get there by taxi. Not sure how much the taxi was because we booked the Sea Trek excursion through the ship and it included round trip transfer and admission to the park. The kids snorkeled right of the beach. We all had a great time there. We also did the sea lion swim there. They had lockers, rest roons, showers, beach chairs, bars, restaurants, gift shops, etc. right there. I'd go back tomorrow (if I had more vacation time)!

Darcy
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: Re: Cozumel with kids

Thanks Darcy. I wrote you with some more questions:

Darcy,

Thanks for the info. My kids are 7 and 11 and want to go snorkeling and this seems easier than taking a boat trip. Iíve read various things about the park. The admission is around $10-12 but it says kids under 10 are free. How much was the ships excursion, did it include snorkel gear? My cruise docs are at home. I guess I can look at it then and RCI website. What ship were you on? How did you get there? Was there a time schedule or at your leisure? What about the thing about no sunscreen in the water? How much were beers? J

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Yeoman

Hi Dave, I'll try and answer some questions for you as well. We went on Carnivals, The Pride the end of '02. It was just like a 10 minute drive. They'll be taxi's everywhere! YOu won't have to worry about that. The ships excursions are always much more. Wasn't sure, but yes, you could find that out. The taxi's are also waiting out front just waiting to take you back to the ship as well.
We had plenty of time to spend there with lots to keep you busy. We snorkeled most of the day. Beautiful grounds to walk around and really enjoyed just watching the people in the water with the dolphins. YOu can also book something like that as well. The food was very good. NOt sure of the cost of beer. But our whole bill wasn't that much. We even ordered more cuz it was so good. Just don't drink the water! That includes ice cubes as well. That's what the ship told us. NOt worth it to take a chance. A good idea is to take water bottles on board. Then you can refill them on the ship. Very pricey for that either on the ship or off and you'll always have it.
We have our own snorkel equipment. Pays for itself very quickly! Plus, it's clean. I'd do that. We take a large duffle bag with our snorkel equipment in it. When you do book an excursion that snorkeling is involved, it always includes the equipment. I just like to have my own. Don't remember anything about the sunblock not in the water. I couldn't imagine NOT wearing it!! You'd get fried.
Have fun. You can email me for any other questions if you'd like. Will try and help.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the info, Bigsky. We will probably end up there. Also considering a trip on the Princesa Maya. Anyone been on it? Through the cruise line it will cost $100 for the 3 of us but unlimited drinks, snorkel stuff, glass bottom boat and about 4 hrs. If anyone has been on it, do they pick you up at the pier?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to csk103

hi, book online at dolphindiscovery.com; you get free admission to the park. and you take your own taxi off the boat..$10 fare. i just got back and it was awesome swimming with the dolphins!
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Admiral

I found a site that shows the port schedule. On Wednesdays there are 6 big ships in port. I am thinking that Chankanaab will be mobbed and maybe I should book the Catch the Wave snorkel safari instead. Any feedback?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Admiral

there are a couple other really good beach/fun & snorkel places besides Channunkaab. Playa Del Sol-- fairly new and has been getting really good reviews, another fun place to hang out for the day is Mr. Panchos- swim, snorkel, food, fun. All easily accessible by taxi.
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Admiral

How much is it to rent complete snorkel gear at Chankanaab? Does it include the life vest?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:01 PM
BMK

Chankanaab is also our personal favorite. As long as you get there early it shouldn't be to crowded and you will be able to get beach chairs under a hut. Can't comment on rental equipment because we also all have our own but almost always life vest comes with equipment. As I remember, it is a rocky bottom where you snorkel so you cannot just hang out there. It is definitely worth going there, have a great time.
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cozumel with kids

Thanks, I am sure we will.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08