Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to maggiehar
Default Snorkle help

We are sailing the western carribean in 2 weeks and we have been told to buy snorkle gear here before we leave. Does anyone have a reccomendation for reasonably priced gear? We will probably use the snorkle gear again so we don't mind investing some money.

We would also like to do Dunn's River Falls. What do you think is the safest way to see the Falls.

Thanks!
Maggie
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Stacycruiser
Default Re: Snorkle help

Hi! Purchased our snorkel gear at Costco...it was around $38.00 for a great set with back pack. I have heard that places like Tuesday Morning and Walmart have nice sets too.
Have a great time!!!
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Mrsox

Default Re: Re: Snorkle help

Do buy your stuff here...so much easier than trying to rent. We got ours at Walmart...a breathing tube and face mask for under $20. US Divers is a good brand.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I bought our snorkel gear all for $50 and its basically paid for itself in just a few uses. As for the falls, I'd just do a ship tour and play it safe, enjoy.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Passenger

If you plan to snorkel again, I would invest in good mask. Go to a dive shop. They will fit you with a mask that will fit your face and adjust it for you. The dive shops have knowledgeable sales people and they will be able to show you how to adjust your equipment yourself. Everyone's head is different and a cheap mask will cause you problems. You will spend more time adjusting it rather than enjoying the snorkelling. The masks come in various price ranges. Don't buy the most expensive one unless you are planning to use it later for diving. Don't bother with expensive flippers. If you plan to buy them, got for the light-weight type. If you plan your snorkelling trips through excursions, they will provide flippers for you.

Definitely do the falls with an organized excursion. It is much safer. Be prepared to be constantly hassled by vendors all over Jamaica, including the falls.

Enjoy your cruise. If you go to Cozumel or Grand Cayman, definitely sign up for a snorkelling excursion there. The water and fish are amazing.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to maggiehar

Thanks everyone for your help. I purchased snorkle gear today at Costco for $38. They also have a junior kit for $24.

I think that we will play it safe and do the Falls with the cruise line.

Thanks!
Maggie
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:45 PM
CruiseJunkie

When we were in Cozumel last year, we signed up for the Tulum & Xel-Ha tour, we had a wonderful time and you'll be very pleased with seeing Xel-Hal...

Have a great time !
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Admiral

we don't pack our fins, they are too big and bulky. We rent our fins separately, or if you book a tour, gear is included in the price.
I agree to book a tour to Dunns River Falls - you don't have to book a cruise ship sponsored tour, there are quite a few reputable tour operators to choose from, Peat Taylor being one of the best.