Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Has anyone been to GUADELOUPE?

Need HELP! If anyone has been there, please tell us what you did for shore excursions.

Ceretainly would appreciate any and all help on GUADELOPE!
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Has anyone been to GUADELOUPE?

ive been to guadelope.. and i didnt like it.. although my family didnt take an excursion- we went to a beach on our own.. maybe it was bad luck.. but i certainly wouldnt recoment this..
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:37 PM
browezilla

I've been there and loved it. The thing to do though is leave the port. It's an industrial port. The island is divided like a butterfly into Grande Terre and Basse Terre I believe. The western, mountainous side is where you want to go. Soufriere is a semi-active steaming volcano you can climb, there is a really nice waterfall in the south, Pidgeon Island on the far west coast is where Cousteau gained fame, there's a nature preserve mid-island near La Mamilia (something like that - just think Mammory - that's what the twin mountains are named for :-)

My advices is to head to the western side of the island, either on your own or with an excursion. Hertz has an office very close to the dock, but be warned that many people there speak limited English. French is the language.
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:48 PM
First Mate

We stopped at Guadeloupe on a cruise a few years ago. We loved it. We spent the day at Club Med (day pass) on one of the prettiest beaches in the caribbean (I believe it was Plage St Anne). Gorgeous soft sand, many beautiful palm trees.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Everyone, Very nice of all of you to respond!

I found the web site for Club Med there:
http://www.come2clubmed.com/caravelle.htm

It looks lovely but we are not REAL COMFORTABLE with doing things on our own there. Spanish speaking ports aren't a problem for us BUT rather take a ship's excursion in the French speaking ones.

Still, this could be GOOD information for other cruisers! WSEA