Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2004, 09:27 PM
First Mate

Default Grand Cayman Stingrays

Can anyone recommend some good excursions for the stingray swim. I prefer that it isn't too long. Also, can you pick the excursions up from the cruise dock?
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Grand Cayman Stingrays

most of the Sting Ray trips last a couple of hours. There are a lot of really good ones to choose from. We chose Captain Marvin. The "better" tours sell-out fast, so your best bet would be to book direct in advance to get the tour and times you wanted.
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We booked through Soto's Cruises and had a great time. $24/pp. We met them at the end of the pier and they dropped us back off there when we were done. There were about 14 people on the boat vs. the 100+ if you go with the cruise ship's tour.
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Admiral

We did our tour to stingray sandbar with Nativeway water sports. You can book directly online. If you want info on what they offer then go to my personal website under the Inspiration cruise page I have set up and there's a link.

It was 24/pp and it was GREAT...we got to go out to a reef and snorkel too.
It was about 1 hour in the water for the rays and another 1 hr in the water for snorkeling and then probably about a half hour each way on the boat. Maybe a total of 3-4 hrs.
We were picked up right at the tender dropoff and they had a big sign so we knew who they were.

Old June 14th, 2004, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
md lady

We used Nativeway also, booked online. We only had 6 people on our tour. It was
absolutely the greatest and the stingrays are so amazing! Our guides were very informative, getting in water with us, teaching us about stingrays and how to feed. They also furnished drinks and snacks. GREAT excursion!
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM
chelseap

We went on the Buccaneer Catamaran, its stunning!!!

Its a 50ft catamaran so you get to snorkel, sail and even have a cocktail because there is a bar onboard. Loads of room to stretch out and bake in the sun too

Buccaneer Stingray City Catamaran

It was a blast!!!!!
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM
ESS

We went with Soto's and we had a great time.
Our ship was late due to a medical emergency, but the staff waited for everyone to arrive so that latecomers would not miss their trip
The boat was not too crowded - so everyone could get off really fast - no wasting time.
The bathroom was clean
They picked you up at the dock and transported you to their boat
They brought you back to the dock
They stopped at two other sites besides the sandbar where one feeds the stingrays.
The first stop had all sorts of fish as well as stingrays speeding through the water - an awesome site.
The second stop had a resident Moray Eel that was coaxed out of his cave with a food bribe for photo ops
At the third stop - the sandbar - the staff brought food for everyone to feed the stingrays and help all of us hold the stingrays for photo ops.
Although the price has increased to 24 dollars to reflect the declining US dollar, it remains an excellent deal and the next time we are in the Grand Caymans - you can be assured that we will rebook with Soto's.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Grand Cayman Stingrays

Thanks for all the information. We booked with Soto's.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

You are going to have a GREAT TIME!!!! We loved it! Watch out cause the people from the other boat will push you out of the way to watch your crew coax out the native wildlife!

~Cassie
P.S. Say "hi" to the Eel for me!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Charpin

We also booked with Nativeway when we went last year, and they were absolutely wonderful! The boat was clean, they were all friendly and helpful, and a great time was had by all. I definitely recommend them.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:07 PM
First Mate

I'll say hi to the eel if he doesn't come after me.
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:33 AM
First Mate

Also look for the nurse shark to the left about 60 feet from the eel.

Old June 24th, 2004, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

Oh and Lizzy make sure that when they give you the calamari to feed to the Sting rays that you don't hold it up to hihg above the water. THe Stingrays are very friendly but the seagulls are horrible. THey'll take off your hand if they see an oppurtunity to get some food.

~Cassie
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just did this last week and it was so amazing! We booked the 1/2 day with Captain Marvin, we stopped at 2 snorkeling sites (coral gardens and the barrier reef) and then spent lots of time with the stingrays. They made a DVD which we could buy, and they showed it on the way back to shore in a little TV on the boat.
I highly recommend Captin Marvin!
Old June 30th, 2004, 05:46 AM
grin

We used Soto's too... let me just say that yes, they were great, but I felt that they were not very helpful to me, as a first time snorkeler. The experienced folks had a great time, but they were not really geared for beginners. Also, be aware that the time they will pick you up is ISLAND time, not ship time... we ended up waiting a long time in the hot sun for their pick-up! And we weren't the only ones!!! Their time is 1 hour earlier than Florida time.
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Beginner

I have done several in Cayman, Captain Marvin, Captain Brian's, and others...i really liked Captain Marvin because there were less people and more personal attention. Whatever you choose, I would recommend chosing one of the smaller tour groups, because you'll see when you go to stingray city boat with a ton of people crammed on them and thats not as fun. You can also pick up trips to stingray city from the dock in Georgetown, you just have to get off early in the morning between like 8-10.
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Beginner

To Darcy, My family and I are cruising to grand cayman on Aug. 8. We would like to book the sotos stingray tour but cannot locate the web site in order to book our tour. Can you provide their web site so that we may contact them . Thanks Lisa
Old July 11th, 2004, 03:00 PM
lanabanana

Default Re: Re: Re: Grand Cayman Stingrays

sotoscruises.com
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Markb

We just used Mr. Soto's and it was great. Much much better than the cruise line's excursions plus a whole lot less expensive. And the wait in line was much less and the boat was less crowded by a mile. $24 per person was a steal...2 snorkeling stops and then on to the stingray's.

I've heard great things on Capt Marvin's too. Saw all of them out there. They all looked great. All were much less crowded than the cruise's excursions. And Soto's was $14/person less. Cruise excursions looked like a boat with 70 people, but should have had only 50...over stuffed boat that would have aggravated me. We were in the Soto's van and driving to the pier while our friends on the ship's excursion were still sitting in the hot sun waiting to get on their bus. All external excursions will not charge you if the stop in GC is cancelled due to weather.

I would always book outside of the cruiseline...saves money and better excursions.
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Suej

This is likely a silly question, but don't the stingrays sting? I am not to fond of being in the water with fish.
Old July 12th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Markb

No they don't sting unless they are frightened. Folks hold them and the like.

It is a bit disconcerting for some as these rays swim right up to you and all around you. If you are afraid of fish, you may have a problem. But then, you won't want to be snorkeling at all in the carribbean as there are fish all around you. They are beautiful, though, and truly a sight to see!
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:08 PM
godfredo

My hubby and i did the "stingray" thing back in dec. 2002 and I am one that loves all kinds of cool nature, creepy, crawly, things...well the stingrays freaked me out!!! Some of them are just so huge it was scary. A lady on our ship NCL Sun did get stung-so just be aware they can sting! THe day we went out the water was really choppy and the water was higher on the sand bar so you had to tread water the entire time (unless you were like 12 feet tall) which made it even more maniacal for me!