Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Default Ardastra Gardens

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of Ardastra Gardens in Nassau? Is it worth the money? What is the best way to get there if not booking through a shore excursion?
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM
J & V

Default Re: Ardastra Gardens

Hi, cantwait.......

We went to Ardastra Gardens in May. We did have a hard time getting a taxi there and actually ended up taking a van over to Atlantis to see it and then the driver dropped us off at the gardens. We ended up enjoying the short visit to Atlantis. The driver took us on the tour and seemed knowledgeable and took pictures of us. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed in the gardens. The flamingo act was entertaining but I doubt we'd go back there. When we were ready to return to the port, the guy working in the ticket booth at the gardens called us a cab and the cab arrived very quick.. Once inside the port building you will be swarmed with taxi drivers (all of which seemed to want to go to Atlantis/Paradise Island). We had the cab driver from the gardens drop us off at Senor Frogs where we enjoyed a much needed drink! The traffic is crazy there. The cab from the gardens was great but the van ride to Atlantis and the gardens (which included a stop at the gas station in a terrible part of town!) was absolutely scary. Take into account that I'm not good in any traffic but I was not the only one on the van that was scared.

I do not like to give discouraging info but I do have to be honest.

Hope this helped. When is your cruise? Hope you have a great time!
Old June 14th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ardastra Gardens

Thank you for the feedback. I was looking for honest opinions. How feasible is it to walk around the immediate area (say, within a few blocks) of the ship terminal? I'm wondering if it is worth the money to take the bus tour excursion around Nassau or just try to walk through the downtown area.

We cruise on RC's Majesty of the Seas in August.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:54 PM
hcat

One more note about the gardens--don't go. It was awful. I love gardens & birds but it was a long trip with the ship's excursion . After visiting some other sights you go through some not very scenic places (lots of barbed wire around the nicer homes) The park is smelly & the flowers & birds not very special. The flamingo show is OK but basically they are taught to walk or March--big time waster., Not in great repair at all...
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Ardastra Gardens

cantwaittocruise-

You can walk right off of the ship terminal/pier straight into downtown. Nassau is very pedestrian friendly and easily navigable! Enjoy your time there, it's beautiful!

Jennifer

Paradise (May 7, 2004) Eastern Carribean
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:04 PM
m. coover

We visited the gardens at Christmas time when we were aboard the Celebrity's Millenium. Make sure you haggle for a price from the taxi driver as we paid a different price coming and going. The gardens themselves have some age to them but the Lory parrot feeding was worth the price of admission. You enter an enclosure and are soon covered with these beautiful parrots as they eat fruit from your hands! The marching flamingos were touristy but fun to watch.