Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Captain

Default eastern carib....best & worst

Ok, I know there is NO WORST time to cruise....cuz a bad cruise is still better than a week at work, but what is the best time and worst time to cruise in the Eastern carib.
We have always done the Western and now want to go somewhere new........anybody got some opinions for me?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: eastern carib....best & worst

You might want to consider avoiding the peak hurricane season from late August to end of October. On the other hand , I have cruised the area several times during that period with no problem. Holiday season and winter would have peak prices.
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:48 PM
First Mate

I agree with PapaBill.
We enjoy cruising Thanksgiving week (because I'm out of school and the prices aren't that outrageous).
Definitely try Eastern! Or Southern out of San Juan. I haven't been to a port Eastern or Southern that I haven't been impressed with! (I'm pretty happy-go-lucky) Of course you could probably find someone on the same exact cruise in the same type cabin with nothing but complaints about everything under the sun... Different strokes for different folks.

~ Mandy
Old June 18th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

October & November are great times to cruise the Eastern Caribbean for 3 reasons:
1. lower fares
2. fewer passangers
3. few school age kids
Old June 18th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Lynne &Trevor

We were on the Eastern Itinerary in the second week of Oct the first time we went there,and had no problems.The weather was generally good, and only one 2hr span of choppy to rough seas as we cruised around a storm.The Capt. did a great job of keeping us out of the midst of it. This time we are cruising down there the week of Sept.18-25. I had to fill out a sheet at work about being available to work during a hurricane (Florida-Retirement Community),and added at the bottom that I would be out of town that week in Sept. My boss and I laughed as I said I hoped the hurricane wouldn't be coming up from the area where we were cruising! I think the unexpected bad weather comes just as you think it's getting close to Novembe and things should have calmed down. I'm sure we'll all have a terrific time, some more adventurous,whenever we go.We've been on the Western Cruise 3 times-February, 2nd week in Oct, and last year, it was the in the last week of Sept. Occasional brief showers but generally sunny and humid. Lynne

Old June 18th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Admiral

being from New England we cruise in the winter, Eastern Caribbean is just perfect in February.
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Captain

Thanks all......we feel much better now about how to make a choice.
happy cruisin'
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Living in Florida, we keep talking about taking a New England cruise. It would be great if we could take a ship up to NYC then grab another one there, or a nearby port and cruise up through the St. Lawrence River area.(My husband doesn't like to fly). Being originally from Canada, I have relatives in Halifax, Nova Scotia, which is a port of call, and I think Montreal is a stop, too, on a longer cruise.That's where I was born and I have several relatives there,as well. My aunt and uncle worked for Cunard when I was young, so my grandparents had pictures of the ships up all over the house! I guess I had to catch the cruising "bug" sometime in my life, eh??? (I've been a US Citizen since the mid-60's,and have lost most of my accent!!) . Lynne

Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

another for being from New England and cruise in the Winter. We choose January and had great weather. Planning two more for the next two Januarys as well. Calm, warm weather, no problems at all.

Enchantment of the Seas
Disney Magic 01/10/04