Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Boatsie

Default How does Orient Beach "work"?

For those who've done Orient Beach on St Martins, I need some clarification.

From what I understand, you can get off the ship and take a cab to Orient Beach. One end of the beach is more "clothing optional" than the other. At Orient beach there are a number of bars/restaurants fronting the water. These places allow you to rent a couple chairs and an umbrella for a price which usually includes a couple drinks. They also have waiters that can bring you food from the bars at an additonal costs. Am I right?

We're going to be there in December and need clarification on a few things:

1. Cab cost from the pier to Orient Beach and return
2. Good choice of bar location for a couple of "50 somethings" who aren't into headbanging rock music and loud boozing. (beach music, tropical drinks and mild nudity not a problem)
3. Cost of renting chairs & umbrella--is a drink included in the price?
4. How is food served? Delivered to your chair, or must you go the the restaurant?
5. Cost for a meal at these places.

Appreciate any tips on making our trip to Orient Beach easy, fun and affordable.
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Mike S

Default Re: How does Orient Beach "work"?

I cannot tell you about orient beach as we never got that far on our trip to St Marteen. But I can tell you the prices for jewelry are better there than on St Thomas.
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: How does Orient Beach "work"?

1. Depends - if you are prepared to share a van it can be as cheap as $5 pp (one way). If you want a taxi all to yourselves, I believe it is $18 per cab (one way). Prices are prominantly posted at the taxi dispatch area.
2. Really not a lot of head-banging music or loud boozing around. Pedro's (right next to CO resort - so lots of nude people) has a band several days a week. When we stopped there for ribs, the band was pretty good. Going north along the beach, progressively less nudity. Bikini Beach (middle of the beach) is nice - clean,nice loungers, outdoor showers but so are lots of other places. My advice just get dropped off and wander along the beach until you find a place that appeals. North end of beach is least crowded.
3. Once again- it depends on the place. My understanding is that a couple of places near the north end offer free loungers - if you have lunch there - sorry cannot recollect names.
4. Once again- it depends - some places have very attentive servers who will come down to your lounger regularly to see if you require drinks or food. At others - it is just faster to go to the bar/restaurant.
5. I hate to keep saying this but it depends - at Pedro's (one of the cheapest places )you can get ribs and rice and cole slaw for less than $10. I believe Baywatch nearby is comparable. In my experience the places around the middle of the beach are the most expensive and the places at either extreme end are cheaper. Prices range from $ less than $10 to over $20. Overall foodwise, St Martin is NOTcheap but the food is usually good quality.
Some places include a free drink with lounger rental, some do not.
Lounger rental cost varies. When we were there last we got 3 well-padded comfortable loungers, one umbrella, one little table for around $20.
Nudity: toplessness - very common; full nudity - obviously most prevalent closer to south end of the beach near the CO resort; least prevalent north end. However ANYWHERE on thebeach you may see one or two nude people walking by. Believe me it really is no big deal.
I hope this helps.