Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Passenger

Default Independant Tour Operators vs. RCI's Tours

I have heard great things about Peat Talyor in Jamaica - however, is it better to book thru the ship & pay a bit more for less or go with an independant excursion/tour.
If for someone reason the ship isn't able to dock at the port or if your sick etc. can you cancel and get a refund with independant tours?? Thanks for any info as we're trying to decide between the ship's standard tours and booking independant more versatile tours.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Independant Tour Operators vs. RCI's Tours

I've booked most of my shore excursions on my own. When you do make sure you find out if you are refunded if the ship does not make port for some reason. If the answer is no then I wouldn't book with that company.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree find out the terms up front. Most will accomodate that and allow you to not be billed. Booking on your own can be great and better value. Also less crowded and more informative. If you are worried about timing, then book through the ship as they will wait for you, otherwise go it on your own and have a blast.

Enchantment of the Seas
Disney Magic 01/10/04
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Amy Shupert

It's a lot better and cheaper to book on your own. We went with Phil Lafayette in Ocho Rios even though we too had heard great things about Pete Taylor. Phil's tour is $30.00 and he does smaller groups so it is more personalized. We had a fantastic time with him and felt very safe the entiree time. We would book with him anytime we were in Ocho !!! Do the river tubing for $20.00 more, it was a blast !!! His website is www.phil-lafayette-tours.com
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Passenger

Peat Tours is the best!!!!! Highlight of the tour. I don't know about his policy on cancellations. Basically he doesn't ask for money till the end of the day. No credit card needed to reserve a spot.

You will have a great time with Peat. He takes you to the falls before the cruise ship people get there. He takes you on a great tour of the area. He then takes you any where you want to go. He dropped us off at the ship for lunch. Then picked us up and took us down town. When he came to pick us up - we were not ready and he said no problem. He hen at the end dropped us off at Margaritaville, which is only a 10 minute safe walk to the ship. Only when he dropped us off at Margaritaville did he ask for money.

Paul D