Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:04 AM
AndyW

Default BEACHES - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita

Heading out on the 7/4 Golden Princess Southern - Caribbean Explorer Cruise with the family, and we are looking to find some good beaches...aka: non-excursion fare. We would like to know some recommendations for beaches we could reach via taxi in St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, and Isla Margarita. Please let me know how long it took you to get to these beaches, cab fare, how long it took you to get there, and what they have to offer. I know that is an incredibly detailed list, but I know you guys will be able to help! Thanks again, board!

Andy
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: BEACHES - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Margarita

Hi Andy,
In St. Thomas, there is Meagans Bay, short taxi ride, about 20 minutes or so, beautiful beach, although no good snorkeling. If you want to spend more time, you can take a cab to the ferry and go over to St. Johns/Trunk Bay or a few other nice beaches there. Travel time to there is longer, but worth it if you want to snorkel.

In St. Kitts we took a 45 minute cab ride out to Turtle beach, beautiful scenic drive and a nice beach. You can see Nevis from there, restaurant is on the beach too. We had the driver just come back at a set time for the return trip.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Alternatives to Maegens Bay and going to St John . When on St Thomas , consider trying Coki Beach or Saphire Bay. Both would be a 15 minute cab ride at a cost of about $15. Both offer facilities from chair rentals to food snorkelling etc. Walk in snorkelling at both is good.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: BEACHES - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Isla Marga

Grenada: Lovely beach at Grand Anse. Take one of the water taxis (very reasonable but I cannot remember the exact amount). Land taxis are more expensive.
Isla Margarita: it has been a LONG time since I was there but my recommendation is to take some sort of island tour.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

AndyW,

Since you don't want to take an excursion offered by the ship, you are going to be very happy with Isla de Margarita. There's a beach by the cruise pier!!! It's free and there's no need for taxis. Nice beach BUT would wear water shoes.

We just love Isla de Margarita! The locals seem to be happy to have us on their island and really try to please. We walked over to the beach above after returning from our ship's excursion the last time we were there. It seemed very nice! Nothing wrong with just going there for a day at the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our last two times in Margarita we have taken an excursion offered by the cruise line called -- Coche Island Cruise. Both times it was wonderful (didn't need water shoes there)!!! You can tell we liked it since we did it twice!

Have Fun! WSEA