Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Yeoman

Default cristobal pier

what can you tell me about this port

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:01 PM
LAURA D. BROWN

Default Re: cristobal pier

I WANT TO KNOW IF I CRUISE THE "BRILLANCE OF THE SEA/ROYAL CARRIBBEAN SHIP WILL I GO THROUGH THE LOCKS?
THANKS MS. LAUR AD. BROWN
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM
hcat

The Brilliance cruise we are booked on does not transit through to the Pacific. I do not know if it will go into any locks--good question. It will stop at Cristobal Pier & cruise Gatun Lake But I think we will see the locks in operation on an excursion. What is the dte of your trip? We are booked for March 05--a long ways off!
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: cristobal pier

You can't get to Gatun Lake without going through the locks on the Atlantic side of the canal.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Passenger

PapaBill is right. If you are going round trip from, lets say Ft Lauderdale or Miami, you will make a partial transit, ie, go through Gatun Locks, anchor in Gatun Lake, where you will have an opportunity to take a shore excursion along the canal. Then, the ship goes back through Gatun locks, and may stop at Cristobal Pier.

if you leave from San Diego, and finish in Ft Lauderdale or Miami. you will hake a full transit of the canal, and stop in Cristobal for a few hours
Old July 9th, 2004, 06:30 PM
hcat

Sounds good--how long does it take to get through the Atlantic locks? Is it a good experience just being a partial transit? We will be going RT FL, do the excursion & then stop at Cristobal pier. Info from the site a big plus!
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Dale C

It is mainly a flea market for the locals. It is not suggested to go outside of the small area around the market. There are some very nice crafts and etc. at good prices. You can probably see most of it in an hour or so. Also, they do barter some their.
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Dale C

Default Re: Re: cristobal pier

It will take about an hour and a half to two hours to transit the Atlantic locks. We considered a partial transit but decided to do the full transit. I would reccommend the full transit. Here's why...on a partial transit you will not see Guillard cut, the Pan American bridge, nor Panama City. I think a full transit is definately worth the time and money.
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Yeoman

go to this link and see what the transit is really like

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/general/...rks/index.hmtl