Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Snick's Guy

Default Orient Beach in St Maarten

I have read from many that Orient Beach is THE beach in St Maarten. I also understand that it is clothing optional.

Question:
For those who have been there, it is mostly completely nude, or is it a mixture of both clothing and clothing-free?

Thanks for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

Hi Snick's Guy,
You will actually just see a few topless people unless you venture over to the "nude" beach and then you'll see them, they don't really walk over to the other side, but you may see a few, its just like a regular beach, no big deal.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

I went there last October with people from my singles cruise. I had planned to experience toplessness but didn't want to do it with my group so I moved further down the beach and saw another topless woman so I didn't feel alone. There didn't seem to be a lot of topless women but I really enjoyed doing it. Felt free and a little adventurous! Don't be surprised if a local or two comes over to sell you something like painted goards or music cds. Don't know if he got a thrill but he didn't do anything inappropriate (probably sees boobs constantly anyway).

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
First Mate

We were there in January, and we strolled to the less nude end. While sunning there, we saw one woman sunning topless. She was obviously a tourist, because her breasts were as white as headlights! Then two older men walked by totally nude, but totally tan from top to bottom, so they were obviously natives. That's all we saw, and it was really no big deal. Even children playing in the sand nearby never even looked up when they walked by.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

And that's why I pre-vacation tan in the nude! No headlights here.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM
LindaW

I go to St. Martin every year and visit Orient Beach. You will see nude people, don't stare at them it is considered rude. If you feel the need to take off your top, go ahead. The far end of the beach is were you will see alot more nude sun worshippers but that is probably because they are staying at that resort. I have seen completely naked men strolling the beach, completely tanned also and they don't seem to have a care in the world. It is a beautiful beach and there is alot to do there. You can parasail, jet ski, get a massage, each at one of the restaurants. It is usual crowded and you will have to pay for a chair and umbrella if you want to use one.
They have a less crowded beach called Friar's Bay which is where I go, calm waters, stilll have eating and drinking, chairs and umbrellas but the water is calm. Orient is a bit harder to get in and out of, more waves. But then again, I am older.
enjoy your trip.
Old June 27th, 2004, 10:24 PM
jfd

it is clothing optional. there are lots of folks who bare it all, but many who keep it on. the beach itself is wonderful. no pressure to disrobe. great drinks on the beach try the bushwacker--yum.
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:13 AM
LN

The whole beach is clothing optional. On the south end almost all will be nude. On the north end it will be 50-50. In the middle most people wear suits especially cruise ship passengers. On a day when there are a few cruise ships in port the overwhelming majority of the people will be in the middle and be dressed. But the whole beach is clothing optional and people of all dress will walk by at anytime. The atmosphere is very relaxed about it.
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

Actually LN this is not true. Legally and officially only the area in front of Club Orient (the extreme south end) is clothing optional. (My source btw is the St Martin tourist board).
HOWEVER you are correct that nudity MAY be found on all parts of the beach - since it is mostly tolerated (although occasionally the gendarmes will request that nude persons go to the beach in front of Club Orient.) Toplessness is legal everywhere.
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:12 PM
LN

Default Re: Re: Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

I can assure you Zeno that what you are hearing from the Tourist Board is not true. My source of information is the Gendarmes and the French government. There is no law against nudity on any part of Orient and no one has ever been fined. There is a long standing tradition of C/O use on Orient.

It is true that some cruise companies have tried to influence the Gendarmes to restrict use to both the the south and north ends. This happens about one hour each year.

Whether or not you believe me is not relevant. What is important is that people know what to expect when they get there. On this we agree. Be prepared to see nudity everywhere on the beach, and feel free to wear what you want anywhere on the beach.
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM
LN

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

BTW go to Friar's Bay and you will see the Gendarmes swimming and sunning in the nude.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to GummyBear

I've heard that most resturants and bars will refuse to serve nude guests if a Disney ship is in port?

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM
Yeoman

Gummy Bear we went there when there was a Disney ship in port and there was still some nudity.
Personally I think the nude thing is over rated, we only saw a tiny bit of nudity and it was not a big deal. It isn't all hot young babes strolling down the beach buck naked you know! We saw a really old wrinkly shriveled up guy in a g string, and trust me it wasn 't a turn on at all!!!!

Kids don't need to think of nudity as something" dirty' especially as it is not presented in a sexual way at all.The few kids we saw either didn't notice the nudity or didn't care. We were not at the " complete" nude end of the beach,so if Disney is worried they should just tell their patrons to go left at the taxi drop off( less nude part)
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:19 PM
browezilla

BTW: You may see topless folks on most of the French side beaches.
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:47 PM
jfd

Default Re: Re: Orient Beach in St Maarten

there is also nudity in martinique and st lucia. orient is best known because some people are totally nude (of all ages). there is no pressure to disrobe. its a fun beach, try the bushwacker its a great drink.