Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Hamptod

Default High Pockets Day Sail and Godfrey Tour

OK Folks, we are all set!! We leave on the Carnival Legend on Thursday, June 26th, Yippee!!!! For St. Thomas, we have reserved with Kathleen for the High Pockets Day sail (dh and ds) and I'm confirmed for Godfrey!! I can't believe we are two days away from sailing on our first cruise!!

Thanks to everyone on this board as well as other cruise boards. For a first timer, I couldn't have done it without you!! The information on these boards was priceless.

Thx

Deborah
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: High Pockets Day Sail and Godfrey Tour

I wish I were you. I have until Sept.18, but I am thankful I am under 100 days now. Anyway, I am booked on the Godfrey tour, but what is the other one you are going on? Is that in St Thomas or St. Marteen? I have not heard about it. Thanks and enjoy your cruise. Prepare to get spoiled!!!!!

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Hamptod

Default Re: Re: High Pockets Day Sail and Godfrey Tour

Carol,

High Pockets is a day sail they will take in St. Thomas. Here is the website www.sailhighpockets.com. I have read rave reviews about Kathleen the captain and this tour. I talked with her about an hour ago and she sounded wonderful. I found most of my information about her on the cruisecritic.com message boards. Hold on a second, let me find the type of boat she sails. It is a 42 foot sloop and she only takes a maximum of 6 people at a time. It sails towards St. Johns and then take you to different cays for swimming and snorkeling. You also get a lunch and I understand her rum cake is to die for. I'm copying some of the text here from her website. I would encourage you to check it out. Again, she has been getting rave reviews on some of the other cruise websites.

You know how you have a gut instinct about people, good or bad? Well I had a really good instinct about her when I talked to her.

Here are FAQs from her website.

What is included with our daysail?
Personalized and friendly service. Fantastic sailing. Lively conversation. Exciting stories of adventurous high seas sailing. Learn all about long term live aboard cruising and real offshore sailing. Continental breakfast of pastry and fruit. Thirst quenching open bar. Water toys. Quality snorkel gear with experienced instruction. Comfortable swim flotation belts. Large, stable dinghy for beach trips. Sun kissed warm fresh water rinse off. Delicious gourmet lunch prepared fresh onboard. Island music if desired.

What do you do on a day sail charter?

In the morning we sail for a few hours in protected waters taking in the breathtaking sights of our Virgin Islands. Following our morning of fun sailing, we anchor in a peaceful cove for snorkeling, beach combing and relaxing. We then dine in style in our shaded cushioned cockpit. Colorful dish ware, wine goblets, cloth napkins and fresh cut flowers complete the perfect picnic! Perhaps another dip in our warm Caribbean Sea for a snorkel, or lounging about on our comfortable yacht. Then, a nice leisurely sail home.

Where does High Pockets go on a day sail?

We sail out towards St John, the Virgin Islands' National Park and the surrounding cays. Each day offers us different conditions, so we go someplace different everyday! We're so lucky to have so many choices. Some of the cays we go to: Lovango Cay, Congo Cay, Henley Cay, Whistling Cay, and the St James Islands. Some of the bays and beaches on St John we go to: Mary's Point, Francis Bay, Maho Bay, Peter Bay, Hawksnest Bay, Scott Beach, Caneel Bay, and Honeymoon bay.

What do you serve for lunch?

Scrumptious hot pasta tossed with slices of tender grilled chicken and sweet grape tomatoes in a fresh lemon herb sauce. Herbs from Captain Kathleen's garden. Salad greens with a light vinaigrette. French Bread and Danish butter. A splash of Chardonnay, perhaps? Home baked, mouth watering rum cake. For our vegetarian friends: It is easy to alter our menu for our vegetarian guests. Please just tell us your needs.

Do you take cruise ship passengers on your daysail charters?

Absolutely! Many of our guests are on a cruise ship and in St Thomas for the day. We are so accessible to those that wish to escape the crowds for a great day on the water seeing the sights.

There is only two in our party. Do you need more people to go out?

We are happy to sail with only two guests. We take only up to six guests out.

Would our children enjoy the trip?

We sail with many children of all ages and delight having their bright, smiley faces onboard. We even offer a children's menu! Children love being out on the water and going to the beach in our big dinghy. We also find they love checking out our sailboat that served as our home for many years.

Is there anywhere to get out of the sun on the boat?

High Pockets offers both the sun and the shade. You choose.

I don't swim. What's for me to do all day?

You don't have to go in the water to have a fantastic day! Certainly, if you wish to put on extra flotation and see the wonderful world underwater, we'll gladly teach you to snorkel! If possible, we'll snorkel with you for your added comfort. Or, you can catch a ride in our stable dinghy to the beach to wade and play in the surf.....or just plain beach comb for treasures. You are also welcome to lounge aboard High Pockets in comfort, soaking up the beautiful sights while sipping one of our special drinks.

What should we bring?

Swimsuits, towels, and sunscreen. Oh, and bring your cameras, so we can get some great photos of you while on board.

What days is High Pockets available?

We are available to sail each and every day!

What times do you sail?

We meet you at 9:30 AM. We have you back on the dock around 4 PM. To our cruise ship guests: We can adjust sailing times for your party to accommodate a bit of shopping on your way back to your ship.

Where does High Pockets depart from?

We sail from Red Hook Harbor in St Thomas, USVI, which is the closest part of St Thomas to St John and the Virgin Islands' National Park. Captain Kathleen will personally greet you at American Yacht Harbor Marina on "A" Dock, by the flag pole.

How do we get to you?

Getting to us is easy! By Taxi: Just ask your driver to bring you to American Yacht Harbor Marina to meet us on "A" Dock. For our cruise ship visitors: We are just an easy 15-20 minute ride from where your cruise ship docks. For our St John visitors: A fun 15 minute ferry ride from Cruz Bay, to Red Hook, with a 2 minute walk right to the marina. We can drop you off in Cruz Bay on our sail home. For our island visitors who are renting a car: Parking in Red Hook is at a premium. You may park at the Marina for $10 per day, payable to the Marina office. Or, you may park across from the ferry dock, a 2 minute walk to meet us, for $5 per day.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Hamptod

Default Re: Re: Re: High Pockets Day Sail and Godfrey Tour

I forgot to add, her fee is $120 per person if paid by credit card or $110 if cash. This seemed to be the going rate for most of the day sails. Thanks for your good wishes, I promise to write everyone when I get back.

Deborah
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Sounds wonderful and I am sure you will have a GREAT time. However we are only in St. Thomas for one day and I have already booked the Godfrey tour which is all day also. You must be going to be there for two days. I am looking for something interesting to do in St Maarten if you know of anything. Take care, thanks for the info and enjoy your cruise. Be sure to write when you get back. Bon Voyage

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:11 AM
Hamptod

Default Re: Re: High Pockets Day Sail and Godfrey Tour

Carol,

We will only be in St. Thomas for the day. My husband and son are doing High Pockets and I am doing Godfrey by myself. I am actually hoping I will meet someone on board that I get along with that is doing the Godfrey tour so that I can tag along. I'm not a big beach person but my husband and son are so in the best interest of harmony, I shop they swim. Works out perfect for us.

I have never been to St. Maarten so I can't help you.

Deborah
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Admiral

I think you will love the Godfrey tour from what I hear. I am going with my sister and my daughter but also 2 people that I have met on the cruise boards which is exciting. I can't wait to meet them in person. Have a great trip. You are almost OUT OF HERE.