Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:13 AM
KayC

Default Worth taking Panama Canal cruise?

Would appreciate advice on taking a Panama Canal cruise. My other half thinks it'll be boring bit I'd like to go. We've already done the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, the Mediterranean, Alaska and St Petersburg cruises. Running out of ideas and this is one we haven't done. Any positive/negative feedback is appreciated. Thanks. :-)
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
valtime

Default Re: Worth taking Panama Canal cruise?

By all means do it. I held out for years because I felt it would be boring - who needs to go through a big ditch for 8 hours. Was I wrong? You bet I was. We not only went through once but twice shore to shore in 21 days and stood outside for both sailings. If you are going all the way through - the Bridge of the America's is something to behold. If you are a boater take your GPS with you, that is fun. All is all we will do it again this year even if it is only into Gatun and back. Have fun!!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:00 AM
Admiral

oh my yes take a Panama Canal cruise. It is one of those " i will never forget once in a lifetime" type cruises. You don't have to be an engineer to be amazed at how this feat was accomplished. Not to mention that its pretty cool going thru the locks watching other ships and yours go up and down.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Panama Canal Cruise was my first experience with a curise longer than 7 days. It was wonderful. We made a point of doing the active shore excursions in every port so we didn't get bored.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Read (or skim) The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough and you will have an even deeper understanding and appreciation of this marvel. Seeing the hugh ships (not cruise) from all over was great.
Old June 26th, 2004, 12:19 AM
on_the_water

Sorry to disagree with everyone, but I've done it twice and both times have been bored out of my mind. The first set of locks (the system used to raise and lower ships through the canal) is really cool. You'll be excited to see how it works and how they can raise a ship that weighs 80,000 tons. However, after that there's nothing really to see. It's quite boring and as hot as I've ever felt.

If you do want to just sit around and enjoy the ship itself, then maybe this is something you'll want to do. But there aren't many ports along the way, and does get slow. If you go I hope you have fun.
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

this site will give you a good idea of what happens when you go through the canal in visual anitmated terms --

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/general/...rks/index.html

Old June 27th, 2004, 09:03 AM
hcat

We are not dong a full tranist & hope we will get a taste of the canal & some other spots along the way--on Brilliance in Mar 05
Old June 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We are thinking of a Panama Canal cruise in the future because it's something different and we will be visiting different countries. My pastor and his wife went on the partial one and really enjoyed it. Several of my neighbors have gone, too.I am fascinated by things like the locks and how they work. Just as I enjoy being above the Bridge on our ship when we go back into port early in the morning and watch the whole docking procedure. I think there is something to do anywhere one goes. If we get bored, we play Scrabble!!! Lynne

Old June 27th, 2004, 10:48 PM
KayC

Thanks, everyone for your helpful comments. I think my "fears" are voiced by "on_the_water." Also compared to our previous cruises, the Panama Canal itinerary in May '05 on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have more sea days than we've ever encountered. This is what the other half is griping about. And add to it that some of the ports will be repeats for us. Sigh...
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:41 AM
on_the_water

KayC,

Please don't allow me to talk you out of going. That's just the experiences I've had with the Panama Canal. If you're looking to relax on the ship and partake in all the shipboard activities, then you could have a great time. However, it does get slow with very few ports and the intense heat outside keeps people indoors. No matter what happens it will be an experience, and most people aren't having enough of those these days. Life is short, do what you want and have fun at it.
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Admiral

KayC - yes it is very hot going through the canal, you can book a shore excursion into Panama if you like. As i said before, for our group it was an amazing experience one that we have and still do talk about even years after the cruise. As for sea days, love them- great chance to just relax by the pool,take in some of the shipboard activites, do some shopping attend lectures, get a massage, etc. As you know port days can get very hectic, sea days give you a chance to really realx and enjoy your cruise.