Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
phoenix15

Default Puerto Rico

Just curious what was your favorite thing to do in Puerto Rico. We are actually not going there on a cruise but a short weekend trip. Also, has anyone stayed recently at the El Conquistador...I have heard conflicting reports about this resort? Also, is El Yunque Rain Forest worth a 1/2 day visit?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick
Default Re: Puerto Rico

When we were in San Juan for the day we toured the forts. It was really cool and the views were nice. We spent the rest of the day shopping in Old San Juan. We told a tour through RCI that included all of this, and I had enough information to do a report for spanish class. It was a lot of fun.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've spent severaly long weekends in Puerto Rico.

Drive to El Yunque in the morning and then go to the beach near there. It's suppose to tbe one of the most beautiful beaches in the world - white sand, coconut palm trees and concession stand where you can get beer and fresh coconut drinks.

El Morro is interesting and Old San Juan is the place to go for dinner or lunch.
Old June 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Passenger

We did the half day trip to El Yunque because we flew in a day early for our cruise. The only thing disappointing to me about the trip was that it wasnt the whole day. We booked it at the front desk of our hotel through a company called "E&B Tours" our tour guide was AWESOME! the half day tour gave you a taste of El Yunque. I would have liked to stay longer to hike through some of the trails and see Las Minas (sp?) Falls. Instead we saw Coca Falls which was right on the road up through El Yunque. Im glad we did it and I loved the tour but I would have liked the full day trip. But we had a cruise ship to catch and couldn't. After the tour of El Yunque we stopped at what i would definatly call a shack in El Yunque for some Puerto Rican food. Despite it being a shack the food was awesome and didnt make me ill. Vegetarians beware, you're gonna have a tough time in Puerto Rico. Then we drove to Luquillo Beach. It was weird. We had people doing a full day but instead of staying a full day at El Yunque they stayed the remainder of the day at Luquillo Beach. We stayed 20 minutes. Enough to poke our toes in and get really hot but not able to swim. There must be full day tours of the actually rain forest but it doesnt matter cause that's not your question. ;-)

Our other favorite thing we did in our very brief time we were there was walking around Old San Juan. We hadn't a clue what the hell we were doing so it would have been better if we were more organized but there is a lot of cool things to see. We also drove into Old San Juan after we got there so it was in the evening after all the historical sites were closed so we couldn't actually go in only poke around outside.

The other things I will say for Puerto Rico is the people were incredibly friendly. The doormen, the taxi drivers, the tour guides, holy crap they treated us well.
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:17 AM
mcymse

Default Re: Re: Puerto Rico -beach name nearby?

Can you possibly come up with the name of the beach near El Yunque? You are right, it is worth going to and if prepared with bottles of water I'd do a day trip.
We did an early arrival in June 2001, rented a car and went to the rainforest as soon as national park opened and we were not aware of a great beach area nearby. We stayed at the Marriot near I think Coronado? and beach was rated I'd say just ok so a "great beach" would be worth finding.
Anyone do the bat caves in Puerto Rico? and I do not mean Batman the comic ;-)
Suzy- Carmel, IN --planning stages for cruising next summer!
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Admiral

yes, the trip to the rainforest is well worth it.
Also plan some time to just wander around Old San Juan
Go out to the forts at El Morro - very interesting, it gets windy, very popular kite flying place and you get a great view of the harbor from the fort.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:07 PM
reeboksmm

Default Re: Re: Re: Puerto Rico -beach name nearby?

HI MCYMSE

The caves are called Las Cuevas de Camuay...They are awesome..It's definitely worth seeing as they give you lots of information that you wouldn't even think about. I have to warn you though. It's a bit smelly because of the bat droppings and you'll see mountains! But its worth the visit not to mention you might get to see a whole section of them! I would say go for it. One the way, there are little shacks of puertorrican appetizers and trust me...I'm not telling you just because I'm Puertorrican but even I was hesitant when I went on vacation the first couple of times and now...I look for my favorite places. The best ones are by Luquillo Beach ...Nice and fresh!

Another great place to visit is the Iluminiscent Bay. Usually the tours are later closer to it getting dark because when you do the tour it's a boat ride that takes you across the water where there are I can't remember the name exactly but the water lights up because of crystallites in the water and it's beautiful. You aren't allowed in the water, at least when I went years ago, as the crystallites stay on your body and you glow. Apparently this is where supposedly the "Chupacabra" story came about. I don't know how true this is but I personally don't think its the story. Its some glowing alien that was spotted but the only thing that lit up was the eyes!!

But its interesting to hear about these stories and how people make it up to get people like me to do these tours!

Anyway, good luck and I hope this was helpful!

Reeboksmm