Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Passenger

Default snorkeling in cozumel??

Plan to visit Cozumel in Sept. I here there are many beautiful places to go and snorkel? My question is does anyone have reccomendations as to where we should go? Do we have to go with a tour or can we explore on our own? If it is with a tour what are the prices?

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:38 PM
lomayalo

Default Re: snorkeling in cozumel??

Mayan Paradise Tours (http://www.snubacozumel.com) offers a great snorkel and snuba trip on the Zorro catamaran. It's a 4 hour trip and you visit 3 different reefs - all of them are beautiful. It was $45 for the snorkel option. Have fun!
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can also just take a cab on your own to Chankanaab Park and snorkel there. They also have the dolphin swim there too. Its very easy to get a cab at the pier and spend the day there and get a cab back.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:06 PM
LindaW

The best place to snorkel is the Chankanaab Park, check out their web site. I was there last year and was amazed at all the fish they had. I was unreal, especially with all those people there. Take a cab and go yourself, or rent a car, snorkel and then explore the rest of the island once you tire of this place.
The other side of the island has the most beautiful beaches. Also if you get over there, stop at Punta Morena and get some lobster while you watch the surfers. What a relaxing enviroment and it is cheap...beer lobster, just watch the amount of sun you get.
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Admiral

If you are looking for an amazing snorkeling experience, then book a ships tour to the Palencaar Reef - this place is amazing, the water is crystal clear, the current gently pushes you along so the snorkeling is almost effortless. We saw so many amazing sea creatures on our tour. This tour might seem a bit pricey but it is so worth it. You get an experienced captain and an experienced dive master who is in the water with you at all times, he will point out certain things for you to see.
The reason i say to book a ships tour and not do this on your own is because you have to travel a bit by boat to get out to the reef, and if anything should happen to your boat - mechanically - the ship will wait for you to return. If you book on your own and something happens and you don't make it back in time, the ship will not wait for you.
Old June 26th, 2004, 12:22 AM
on_the_water

Go on your own. Cozumel is one of the few port where there is plenty to do without booking a tour. Take a cab and do it yourself. Most of the snorkeling tours end up right off the beach as well.

There will be other ports where you'll need to take a tour just to have something to do. Save your money and do this one yourself.
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Passenger

Get in a taxi, tell the driver DZUL HA and snorkel for the cost of a taxi ride. Small little place. It's not far. If your ship gets in early go right over and you'll be standing alone with the place to yourself. It gets busy after 10am. This is not a sand beach. It is more for snorkeling but they do have places to set. Buy a soda or a beer or two from the local fellows and have a great day!
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Passenger

Just curious as to what cruise you are on. We are sailing September 18 on Holland America for the Western Caribbean. I'm also an RN! Jana
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for your expert advice!!!!! We are so excited!! We will be taking the Holiday on Carnival Sept. 6th!

Old June 30th, 2004, 06:43 AM
R Smith

I have snorkeled there a few times. My favorite place is Palancar beach where you get a boat out to the Palancar reef for about $25 pp. They take you to shallow and also deep (30 ft) places. However, if it is windy, this may not be a good place. Once we hit it when it was windy and went to Chankanaab which was sheltered from the strong wind. Chankannaab is a nice place to snorkel too.

Hope this helps
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:04 PM
homey12

There are several place you can snorkel from the shore, but a tour is a must Palancar gardens and a few of the southern reefs are must see and only accessable by boat. Checkout the link below for maps and more info..

http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/yabbse/index.php?board=18